Cookbook restructured, help welcome

Simon Michael

Feb 20, 2022, 7:33:04 PM2/20/22
to hledger
Hi all,

https://hledger.org/cookbook.html has been restructured for growth, and begins with:

"Goal for 2022: This page aims to become the comprehensive list of concrete, actionable, task-oriented advice for hledger users on how to tackle common real-world problems, using hledger where possible, but pointing to other tools if more effective, and including placeholders where we don't yet have a good answer."

All review and help in reaching the goal is welcome. Feel free to fire off a chat message or email pointing out unlinked resources, additions needed, or other suggestions.

niels...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2022, 7:33:40 PM2/22/22
to hledger
This sounds like a great project. I have a number of commitments through the end of March, but after that I would be very glad if there were any way I could contribute to the cookbook.

Rob

Simon Michael

Feb 22, 2022, 8:51:32 PM2/22/22
to hle...@googlegroups.com
Great.

You'll have seen the other mail about a general PTA "cookbook" (example journal entries). No you're not seeing double - there are two, and they're kind of connected. Exact balance of content between them is TBD.

On Feb 22, 2022, at 14:33, niels...@gmail.com <niels...@gmail.com> wrote:

This sounds like a great project. I have a number of commitments through the end of March, but after that I would be very glad if there were any way I could contribute to the cookbook.

niels...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2022, 3:11:44 PM4/4/22
to hledger
Simon,

Now that April has arrived, and my schedule has opened up, I am confirming my ability to now help with the cookbook.

The first thing I am thinking to work on is updating my article on tags to make it more accessible to beginners. Specifically, the tags article has examples of Halloween candy received being counted as income. While this is creative (IMHO), I would like to find something that doesn't stretch the mind quite so much.

The second thing is to make any additional updates to the above article. Specifically, I understand hledger 1.25 has some new tag features. Once Brew will let me upgrade my Mac version to 1.25, I can tackle this second part.

Rob

niels...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2022, 2:21:19 PM4/18/22
to hledger
I am happy to report that I have updated the tags tutorial. The only significant change was the aforementioned removal of some accounting examples that might be confusing to people. I found a spot here and there where I could make things work a bit better, so the article has had some minor polishing as well.

Rob

Simon Michael

Apr 18, 2022, 4:13:56 PM4/18/22
to hledger