ANN: hledger IRC channels have moved to libera.chat, please join us

Simon Michael

May 23, 2021, 1:22:49 AM5/23/21
to hledger
Hi all,

You may or may not be aware of the big shakeup in IRC (Internet Relay Chat) in recent days. The Freenode chat network is suddenly under new control. Most of the staff see it as a "hostile takeover", and they have created a new chat network, https://libera.chat . You can read more about it there, and much more in the many recent threads eg on Reddit /r/haskell and Hacker News.

Like many other projects, hledger is moving too. The #hledger and #hledger-bots (and #plaintextaccounting) channels have officially moved to Libera (irc.libera.chat).

You may want to do your own research and make your own decision, but I urge you to do as soon as possible, and I recommend and humbly request everyone to leave the old channels and join us in the new ones. For many reasons - a clean and clear transition, avoiding fragmentation, reducing my workload, minimising our exposure to adverse events on Freenode - it would be good for them to empty out as quickly as possible.

How: point your IRC client to irc.libera.chat instead. The channel names are the same. You will want to register your usual nickname. If you find someone has already taken it, join #libera channel and ask for staff to help. Or you might get lucky (as I did) by reaching out to the person and asking them politely to give it up.

And, or, take the opportunity to jump into the Matrix: install Element or other matrix client and join the hledger:matrix.org and plaintextaccounting:matrix.org rooms. Note there is not yet any bridging between Matrix rooms and Libera channels; that will come soon.

I'm sorry for the hassle ! But, in crisis also comes opportunity!

-Simon

Simon Michael

May 23, 2021, 5:08:34 PM5/23/21
to hledger
PS for those who care, here's a more useful starting point:

Simon Michael

May 26, 2021, 3:29:46 AM5/26/21
to hledger
And FYI: #hledger and many other channels were taken over by the new staff at Freenode tonight. Check your favorite tech news site for more details (eg https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27286628).

I have deleted my 17 year old "sm" account from that network, and disconnected. (So if that nick gets reactivated on Freenode, it's not me.) if I were you I would consider doing the same.

See you at libera.chat, on Matrix, or both. Onward!

-Simon

On May 23, 2021, at 11:08, Simon Michael <si...@joyful.com> wrote:

PS for those who care, here's a more useful starting point:

m0r0dan

May 26, 2021, 3:54:56 AM5/26/21
to hledger
I don't find the channel "plaintextaccounting" on Libera.Chat?
And there are two "plaintextaccounting" ("plain text accounting" and "Plain Text Accounting") on matrix? Which one?

m0r0dan

May 26, 2021, 4:07:16 AM5/26/21
to hledger
first one ok, found "plaintextaccounting" on Libera.Chat, sorry

Simon Michael

May 26, 2021, 1:05:25 PM5/26/21
to hledger
To be clear, on the new irc.libera.chat, all is as before - there I am still sm and sm[m], and channels are the same.

On May 25, 2021, at 9:54 PM, m0r0dan <dan....@gmail.com> wrote:

And there are two "plaintextaccounting" ("plain text accounting" and "Plain Text Accounting") on matrix? Which one?

Plain Text Accounting (#plaintextaccounting:matrix.org) is the native matrix room - use this one.

#plaintextaccounting (#freenode_#plaintextaccounting:matrix.org) is the bridged room corresponding to the old freenode channel - it's of no use now, and you should leave this one.

Hopefully in a few days we'll have a new #plaintextaccounting bridged room corresponding to the new libera channel.