Can we use in_i instead of in_us

Matt Wilson

Jan 9, 2020, 12:41:45 PM1/9/20
to hl7v2-syndr...@googlegroups.com

Hi – It looks like we may be required to use in_us to measure height. Is it ok if we use in_i instead in_us to stay consistent with other areas in our product?

Thank you!

Matt

Taylor, Sheryl L. (Fed)

Jan 9, 2020, 1:05:44 PM1/9/20
to Matt Wilson, hl7v2-syndr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matt,

Yes, if you want to use inches for height units for ONC certification testing, you must use UCUM concept codes for OBX-6.1 in the OBX segment that provides height information. This requirement is based on ONC naming the PHIN Messaging Guide for Syndromic Surveillance: Emergency Department, Urgent, Care, Inpatient and Ambulatory Care, and Inpatient Settings, Release 2.0, April 21, 2015 and Erratum to the CDC PHIN 2.0 Implementation Guide, August 2015 in the 2015 Edition certification criterion.

Please see page 116 of the PHIN Messaging Guide where the requirements for capturing height and weight data are listed. Use of UCUM concepts is mandated. The NIST testing tool will generate an error notification if “in_i” is used to populate OBX-6.1 when OBX-3.1 is “8302-2”.

Thank you for your question.

Sheryl

NIST