ELR field PID 10.2 for Race

Renee Clark

May 24, 2022, 7:41:39 PM5/24/22
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing
Hello,

I need clarification for the text field on PID 10.2 - it is listed as a changeable field but the text is linked to the Identifier code for Race. Changing the text in the EHR will change the code as well. In the screenshot below, the code (identifier) is listed as test case fixed data but the text is listed as changeable.
This does not seem possible based on the Race text being directly to a specific code/identifier.
When the text is changed, the code is also changed to match the text. The file fails when the code is change since 10.1 is not a changeable field.

Race.JPG

Taylor, Sheryl L. (Fed)

May 24, 2022, 9:39:47 PM5/24/22
to Renee Clark, HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing

Hi Renee,

You are correct that PID-10.1 must be “2106-3” because the Data Categorization is Test Case Fixed Data.

The Data Categorization for PID-10.2 is Changeable, which means the exact content is not relevant for the Test Case, it can be changed for the purposes of testing, and that example data are provided. The test tool validates for presence of data, and the Tester will manually validate that the content is appropriate for the code 2106-3. When PID-10.1 = 2106-3, then PID-10.2 could be “White” or other descriptions that are equivalent such as “Caucasoid” or “Caucasian”.

On slide 18 in the 2015 Edition Understanding ELR ONC Certification Testing ppt slide deck (accessible on the Documentation Page) is a full explanation of the Data Categorization used for the NIST ELR Test Tool.

Thank you for your question,

Sheryl

NIST

Renee Clark

May 24, 2022, 11:13:31 PM5/24/22
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing
Thank you. A developer will need to change the text/description of the race but keep the same code intact to pass. The tool test for the exact code but the text can be anything.

sheryl...@nist.gov

May 25, 2022, 12:06:06 AM5/25/22
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing
No. The text in PID-10.2 must be equivalent to "White" for description of Race. It cannot be just anything.

Renee Clark

May 25, 2022, 9:10:49 AM5/25/22
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing
 That last reply has me a little confused now. If PID-10.2 must be equal to "White", how can a user change the text for the file to pass. It sounds like changing the text from "White" to "Caucasian" for example would cause the text file to error.

Thank you,
Renee Clark

Riki Merrick

May 25, 2022, 9:21:51 AM5/25/22
to Renee Clark, HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing
The user does not need to change the text - the idea is that the tool is NOT going to check the field content character for character, but allow the system to send what is the description for the code in PID-10.1, which is testcase fixed.

The field descriptions are meant to tell the user how strict the tool is going to be, they are not things the user needs to do.

Riki
Riki Merrick
Vernetzt, LLC
cell: 916.216.0052
skype: riki.merrick

What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. - Jane Goodall

Renee Clark

May 25, 2022, 9:34:41 AM5/25/22
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing

ok. So If I run a text file with PID 10.1 = 2028-9 and PID 10.2 =West Asian, the text file will not give an error in the tool. Right? that is how I am interpreting "Changeable Data" for that field.

race2.JPG

Snelick, Robert D. (Fed)

May 25, 2022, 9:55:15 AM5/25/22
to Renee Clark, HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing

Yes.

A better term for this categorization is “Presence-Test Case Proper” instead of “Changeable data”. Meaning that the data is expected for this element and the data needs to be appropriate for the element within the context of the test case. So, in this case the text for this element needs to be appropriate for the coded element in PID-10.1. A test proctor may visually inspect this element to ensure this but that tool validation will not.

Later versions of our tooling uses the term “Presence-Test Case Proper” instead of “Changeable data” to better reflect this interpretation.

Rob

NIST

ok. So If I run a text file with PID 10.1 = 2028-9 and PID 10.2 =West Asian, the text file will not give an error in the tool. Right? that is how I am interpreting "Changeable Data" for that field.

Renee Clark

May 25, 2022, 10:09:42 AM5/25/22
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing
Thank you all!  I got it.