Data Exemption Clarification

Gary A

Jan 12, 2022, 12:33:51 PM1/12/22
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing

We are looking at certifying our in house ELR application / connections and have a general question. Is it required that you can populate every field outlined in the test cases or are you able to apply for / request data exceptions when validating against the testing tool for data elements that are not available in the EHR or sent over from the performing lab system.

Some examples of the data elements that we do not have available in the EHR:

                Home Phone Extension

                Telecom Comments

Some examples of the data elements that are not transmitted from the lab system:

                Specimen Type Modifier

                Specimen Additives

                Specimen Collection Method

Thank you,

Gary

                Specimen Collection Method

Taylor, Sheryl L. (Fed)

Jan 12, 2022, 1:10:20 PM1/12/22
to Gary A, HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing

Hi Gary,

NIST received your question. A response will be provided once the ELR subject matter experts have completed their analysis.

Thank you,

Sheryl

NIST

sheryl...@nist.gov

Jan 12, 2022, 2:18:22 PM1/12/22
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing

Hi Gary,

It is required that the HIT Module being tested for certification be able to demonstrate the capability of populating every field indicated in the ELR Test Cases; additional explanations are provided in the Notes to Testers displayed on the Test Story tab.

 For the Home Number Extension, the named Standard requires the Sender have the capability of sending data in PID-13.8 (Extension) if PID-13.7 (Local Number) is populated. For the lab specimen data, the Standard requires the Sender have the capability of sending data in SPM-4 (Specimen Type) and SPM-6 (Specimen Additives) and SPM-7 (Specimen Collection Method).

 For purposes of the Test Cases, the Test Tool does not distinguish between lab tests performed in-house vs those performed by an outside/reference lab. The HIT Module being tested for certification must demonstrate the ability to generate the HL7 messages indicated in the Test Cases and according to the named Standard.

Thank you for your question.