ELR_4_1.1_Typ OBX segment order

Alice...@icare.com

Jun 13, 2013, 1:55:07 PM6/13/13
to hl7v2-reportab...@googlegroups.com
At present the OBX segment for TestCase 4 1.1 requires that the antibiotic susceptibility results must present in the order:
1. Amoxicillin+Clavulanate
2. Trimethoprim+Sulfamethoxazole [Susceptibility] by Minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC)
3. Ciprofloxacin [Susceptibility] by Minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC)

If the results do not follow this order, the Context Based Validation Test tool will display an error.

We are curious to know, what rules did NIST use to determine this result sequence? From what we can tell, it's not sorted/grouped by alphabet, LOINC code, result values...

If we are not able to display the antibiotic sus. results in the sequence above, due to different sorting rules, will we be able to use the Context Free Validation Tool to satisfy this test case?

Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,
Alice

Caroline Rosin

Jun 14, 2013, 1:29:44 PM6/14/13
to hl7v2-reportab...@googlegroups.com, Alice...@icare.com
Hello Alice,

this is a limitation of the ELR tool. The tool, at that time, does not have the capability of checking all possible solution when it comes to elements (fields, segments or groups) that repeat. If you don't follow the order given in the example message, it does not mean your message is wrong (since the order of the results in the message does not matter).

I'll do so some research on how to handle this issue in the tool and I will let you know as soon as I have an answer.

Thank you,

Caroline Rosin,
NIST

Alice...@icare.com

Jun 14, 2013, 1:43:03 PM6/14/13
to hl7v2-reportab...@googlegroups.com, Alice...@icare.com
Thanks Caroline!

We really appreciate the help :)

Caroline Rosin

Jun 17, 2013, 3:30:46 PM6/17/13
to hl7v2-reportab...@googlegroups.com, Alice...@icare.com
Hello Alice,
As I said previously, this is a limitation of the ELR tool. For context based validation, the tool does not have the capability of checking all possible solutions when it comes to elements (fields, segments or groups) that repeat.
In this case the ELR tool may generate false negative reports as the validator is checking for specific values (based on the test case) in specific instances of an element (for example in an OBX segment).

For certification, if the product produces messages in an order different then what is given in the test cases, the ATL can simply change the order of the segments in the tool panel to match the test case.
This is the work-around for now.

Let me know if you have other questions,

Caroline Rosin,
NIST

Jason

Jun 20, 2013, 12:46:43 PM6/20/13
to hl7v2-reportab...@googlegroups.com, Alice...@icare.com
Caroline,

I found similar case in the LRI/EHR HL7  V2 Validation Tool (e.g. - the CBC Test Result in LRI_2_CBC).

Do you know if that falls into the same category (and thus the same workaround is allowed)? Or do we need to obtain to the strict sequence for that case?

Should I ask in that group?

thanks,

Jason

Rob Snelick

Jun 20, 2013, 12:59:10 PM6/20/13
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing
Hi Jason.

Yes, this discussion belongs on the LRI Google Group.

For LRI the tool functions differently, it does not require a specifc
order. So the OBXs can come in any order. However, we are checking for
certain LONIC codes based on the test data specification.

What is your specific issue (please respond on the LRI site).

Thanks
Rob
NIST

Jason

Jun 20, 2013, 2:06:51 PM6/20/13
to hl7v2-reportab...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rob.

I will look deeper and post question to that group as necessary.

Jason

Donna Featherston

Jan 17, 2024, 10:40:07 AMJan 17
to HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing
In respect to the post below:  What is the ATL; is this an interface engine that can do the work around?
Thanks,
Donna F

For certification, if the product produces messages in an order different than what is given in the test cases, the ATL can simply change the order of the segments in the tool panel to match the test case.

This is the work-around for now.

Let me know if you have other questions,

Caroline Rosin,
NIST

Rosin, Caroline D. (Fed)

Jan 17, 2024, 10:52:42 AMJan 17
to Donna Featherston, HL7v2 Reportable Lab Testing

Hello Donna,

ATL stands for Accredited Testing Laboratories.

Hope that helps,

Caroline Rosin

NIST