Declined to specify Race & Ethnicity in Immunization HL7 message (2014 Edition)

Neeraj Krishna

Jul 5, 2016, 5:55:06 AM7/5/16
to HL7v2 Immunization Testing
Hello Team,

We are working on 2014 Edition certification and we were confused when building HL7 message. What values do we need to populate in the HL7 message, if a patient declines to specify his/her 'Race' and 'Ethnicity'.

We are using the following codes for Race:

1002-5 American Indian or Alaska Native
2028-9 Asian
2054-5 Black or African America
2076-8 Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
2106-3 White

And using the following codes for Ethnicity:

2135-2 Hispanic or Latino
2186-5 Not Hispanic or Latino

Please help us in resolving this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Neeraj Krishna.

Craig Newman

Jul 5, 2016, 8:41:46 AM7/5/16
to Neeraj Krishna, HL7v2 Immunization Testing

It appears that the race and ethnic group elements in the PID segment have a usage of RE. This means that while support of the fields is required, it is understood that not all instances of a message may have these fields populated. So in the case you describe, I would expect the field(s) to be empty in the message, if there is no acceptable code. Looking at one example from the 2014 test cases, it does appear that some test cases do leave these elements blank.

As well, if in release 1.4 (you said this was for 2014 certification right?) you look at the description of table 0005 which is used for patient race, it specifies using an empty field if the value is unknown.

In the real world, trading partners (IIS and specific implementations of the EHR) may, by mutual consent, choose to expand the value set to include values to represent things like "unknown", "asked, not answered", etc. Unfortunately, HL7 v2 does not handle such null flavors consistently across value sets.

Hope that helps.

Craig

image001.png

Neeraj Krishna

Jul 5, 2016, 8:57:31 AM7/5/16
to Craig Newman, HL7v2 Immunization Testing
Hello Craig,

Thank you very much for your quick response.
We will leave these fields empty in the HL7 message, if the patient declines to specify his/her Race & Ethnicity.
Best,

Neeraj Krishna S.

Namra

Nov 29, 2023, 4:44:35 AM11/29/23
to HL7v2 Immunization Testing
Hi,

I'm a business Analyst in a US Healthcare IT Company.
While working on Patient data, I found some different values in their Ethnicity and Race column.

For Race, we use the following:
2106-3 White

For Ethnicity, we use:
2135-2 Hispanic or Latino

But a patient is having White(Non-Hispanic) in their E&R column.

Which code should we assign?

Then We have Caucasian, we use 2106-3 as Caucasians are White, is it a correct code?

And we have "Subcontient Asian American" as well, what would be its Code?

sheryl...@nist.gov

Nov 30, 2023, 9:43:40 AM11/30/23
to HL7v2 Immunization Testing

Thank you for your question.

You should be using the NIST Immunization Test Suite (for 2015 Edition ONC testing) at this url https://hl7v2-iz-r1-5-testing.nist.gov/iztool/#/home as NIST does not support the 2014 Edition testing tool now.

Based on the immunization specification used for the Test Suite:

If a patient has “White (Non-Hispanic)” in their E&R column, the codes would be:

·       For PID-10.1 Race Identifier: 2106-3 White

·       For PID-22.1 Ethnic Group Identifier: 2186-5 not Hispanic or Latino

For Caucasian, 2106-3 is the correct code for PID-10.1 Race Identifier.
For "Subcontinent Asian American", the correct code for PID-10.1 Race Identifier would be 2028-9.