Contributed profiles

1 view

Drew McLellan

Apr 15, 2008, 9:07:15 AM4/15/08
to hkit-discuss
Hi all

I'd like to start collecting contributed hkit profiles in SVN
somewhere to make them available if they exist.

Acknowledging that not all profiles will be as complete (or possible
to complete against the state of hkit) as others, I'm wondering where
the best place in the repository is for these. I'm tempted to keep
them out of /trunk until a profile is adopted into the core
distribution. Once a profile reaches that point (like the basic hCard
profile), there'd be a responsibility for us to keep it up to date
with any hkit changes etc.

What I'm leaning towards is a layout like this:

/trunk
/braches
/tags
/profiles
/profiles/stable
/profiles/experimental

The idea being that a profile should be usable to a greater or lesser
extent if it's in 'stable' - if it's just a rough outline or of
unknown quality, it goes in experimental.

Thoughts?

Drew.

gareth rushgrove

Apr 15, 2008, 9:36:54 AM4/15/08
to hkit-d...@googlegroups.com

That works for me. I had a couple of profiles just lying around
previously in different places.

Some one mentioned a lack of supported formats on the microformats
list a week or so ago I think. This would go some way to addressing
that issue.

The other approach might be to have an experimental branch of hkit
which includes all the profiles. Or an experimental branch for more
parser related changes and a profiles branch containing all the
profiles. As profiles are stabilised they are merged back in.

One problem might be if someone else is actively developing a profile.
Would they have access to this repository as well as yourself? Or
would they simply provide (potentially) large patches?

As a complete curve ball maybe worth a moments discussion (or a flat
No) - would using Git with Github or Gitorious help here? The ability
for others to clone projects and easily suggest merges without much
overhead might be worth while. A synced experimental branch could
include all the existing profiles, with these profiles probably being
owned by others via another Git clone.

--
Gareth Rushgrove

Web Technologist