Speaker cable recommendation

Wallace

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
I am thinking of a new speaker cable and would like to seek for any
advice or suggestion.

I am currently using Aragon 4004 II and B&W 802s2 with Tara Labs Prime
1000 as speaker cable. I really appreciate the performance of the
Prime 1000 especially the extension of high, detail and its control
capability. However, what I get lost is the quantity of bass. This
made the whole music seemed not to have enough bass (quantity) as well
as the support of vocal (when compared with my ex-cable Audioquest
Midnight III). Be a greedy man, I would like to have more bass quantity
as well as restoring about 80% of the advantage of Prime 1000 (not
eager to restore 100% as I'm a poor man). In view of this, someone have
suggested the following to me :

1) Using two Prime 1000, one for high and one for low.
I have tried to use the cable for low only and use a jumper for this
issue (as I've got one pair only) but the difference was not sufficient.

2) Using MIT speaker cable
Firstly I am not very familiar with the model and price of MIT speaker
cable. Secondly, my experience of using MIT 330 plus interconnect
cable give me the impression of blurr, fat bass and lack high extenion
and detail only (maybe it is a cheap cable instead).

I would therefore like to have any opinion on the choice of speaker
cable for my reference.

Thanks in advance.

Wallace

Felix M.C. Li

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

Well, an open question without a monetory boundary. Do you have a
budget in mind ?

Felix

Ivan

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

>> I am currently using Aragon 4004 II and B&W 802s2 with Tara Labs Prime
>> 1000 as speaker cable. I really appreciate the performance of the
>> Prime 1000 especially the extension of high, detail and its control
>> capability. However, what I get lost is the quantity of bass.

I used Prime 1000 bi-wired before, I think this cable is very good for fat and
blurr system. But in mind is doesn't match since I am using Krell KAV300i, so
sound lean and weaken mid-range with TaraLab. Apart for that problems, it
really clear in high and tight in bass.

>> my experience of using MIT 330 plus interconnect
>> cable give me the impression of blurr, fat bass and lack high extenion
>> and detail only (maybe it is a cheap cable instead).
>>

>This description sounds more like Transparent than MIT.
>
>I am confused. You have Prime 1000 spk cable and also MIT 330
>interconnect. But how did you attribute fat bass and lack of treble extn
>to MIT and not some other part of your system?
>
>My experience of MIT 330 is different from yours. I did not find it to
>be blur or lack treble extn or have fat bass when its performance was
>*maximised* in my system. I used the MIT to link my active pre-amp and
>power amp. On its own, the MIT actually has a warm tonal signature (in
>fact too much for my system) and a full bass (but not fat). In order to
>max its performance I had to feed my per-amp with Apature CL2, a tonally
>lean power cord with good treble and bass extn.

Is it the different between the 330 plus and 330 Extend which you used before
and I am using now. "MIT actually has a warm tonal signature" Yes!! The
solution of my lean system. So I think I will throw the silver to shop......
ha ha ......

>I know of someone else who is selling or has sold his much more
>expensive interconnect after he tried the MIT 330. The reason is because
>at its best, MIT will let you listen to music and not concentrate on the
>imperfections of the CD.

I am still looking for better interconnect sound rich as 330 with more
details and focus. Am I greedy??

>I have B&W spks too and use vdH Revelation spk cables connected to the
>bass driver spk terminals. I use Tara Labs RSC7 jumpers to connect to
>treble drivers spk terminals. I get the required treble extn (your
>milage may vary when it comes to quatity). The bass is not very tight (I
>do not have an active pre-amp now, I use a passive attenuator instead)
>but it also sounds natural to me. I use classical recordings to judge
>the tonal balance of my system, not pop CDs.

Yes!! Sound clear and rich!! Very impressive!!

Regards
Ivan Choi

N C Ong

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Wallace wrote:

> I am currently using Aragon 4004 II and B&W 802s2 with Tara Labs Prime
> 1000 as speaker cable. I really appreciate the performance of the
> Prime 1000 especially the extension of high, detail and its control
> capability. However, what I get lost is the quantity of bass.

[snip]

> my experience of using MIT 330 plus interconnect
> cable give me the impression of blurr, fat bass and lack high extenion
> and detail only (maybe it is a cheap cable instead).

This description sounds more like Transparent than MIT.

I am confused. You have Prime 1000 spk cable and also MIT 330
interconnect. But how did you attribute fat bass and lack of treble extn
to MIT and not some other part of your system?

My experience of MIT 330 is different from yours. I did not find it to
be blur or lack treble extn or have fat bass when its performance was
*maximised* in my system. I used the MIT to link my active pre-amp and
power amp. On its own, the MIT actually has a warm tonal signature (in
fact too much for my system) and a full bass (but not fat). In order to
max its performance I had to feed my per-amp with Apature CL2, a tonally
lean power cord with good treble and bass extn.

I know of someone else who is selling or has sold his much more

expensive interconnect after he tried the MIT 330. The reason is because
at its best, MIT will let you listen to music and not concentrate on the
imperfections of the CD.

I have B&W spks too and use vdH Revelation spk cables connected to the

bass driver spk terminals. I use Tara Labs RSC7 jumpers to connect to
treble drivers spk terminals. I get the required treble extn (your
milage may vary when it comes to quatity). The bass is not very tight (I
do not have an active pre-amp now, I use a passive attenuator instead)
but it also sounds natural to me. I use classical recordings to judge
the tonal balance of my system, not pop CDs.

Nicolas

Felix M.C. Li

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Ivan wrote:

> Is it the different between the 330 plus and 330 Extend which you used before
> and I am using now. "MIT actually has a warm tonal signature" Yes!! The
> solution of my lean system. So I think I will throw the silver to shop......
> ha ha ......
>

> >I know of someone else who is selling or has sold his much more
> >expensive interconnect after he tried the MIT 330. The reason is because
> >at its best, MIT will let you listen to music and not concentrate on the
> >imperfections of the CD.
> >

> I am still looking for better interconnect sound rich as 330 with more
> details and focus. Am I greedy??

Get yourself a pair of 350 Reference then. Or the current 330 limited
edition, the limited edition interconnects and speaker cables are more
current.

I happen to see a pair of 350 CVT Reference (2 terminators) selling at
$6xxx in a 2nd hand shop (they claim it is new).

MIT has many different models but the number for interconnects are
mainly 330 and 350 for MI series, after than number, there are a lot
of models like CVT, Plus, Extended, CVT Twin Terminator, Now the
limited edition. That is really confusing. Just to know all the models
take a lot of time already.

For most MIT products, if you can afford the CVT models, get them,
CVT is Constant Velocity Technology.

All models lower than CVT models may not give you the true
performance of MIT cables.

For speaker cables, the numbers used are mainly 750, 770 and 850.
Most cheaper models are those using MH-750 wires. Although 750 cables
can also be very expensive comparing to entry level 770 series.

There is a good bargin for MIT MH-750 Extended (Metal box) in a
2nd hand shop, pricing at around $6000 for a 8ft pair. I tried it
once in my system (borrow from my friend) and found it to be very
good, great bass extension and very good and smooth vocal comparing
to my CVT series II.

Those models with a Metal boxes are generally at the higher range of
the models for the same series wires used.

But one thing must be taken care of when getting MIT cables with
heavy boxes is that they are easy to break when dropped on the
ground.

Felix

mwch...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
In article <6uqs4k$33o$1...@justice.csc.cuhk.edu.hk>,

s96...@logic.csc.cuhk.edu.hk (Wallace) wrote:
> I am thinking of a new speaker cable and would like to seek for any
> advice or suggestion.
>
> I am currently using Aragon 4004 II and B&W 802s2 with Tara Labs Prime
> 1000 as speaker cable. I really appreciate the performance of the
> Prime 1000 especially the extension of high, detail and its control
> capability. However, what I get lost is the quantity of bass. This
> made the whole music seemed not to have enough bass (quantity) as well
> as the support of vocal (when compared with my ex-cable Audioquest
> Midnight III). Be a greedy man, I would like to have more bass quantity
> as well as restoring about 80% of the advantage of Prime 1000 (not
> eager to restore 100% as I'm a poor man). In view of this, someone have
> suggested the following to me :
>
> 1) Using two Prime 1000, one for high and one for low.
> I have tried to use the cable for low only and use a jumper for this
> issue (as I've got one pair only) but the difference was not sufficient.
>
> 2) Using MIT speaker cable
> Firstly I am not very familiar with the model and price of MIT speaker
> cable. Secondly, my experience of using MIT 330 plus interconnect

> cable give me the impression of blurr, fat bass and lack high extenion
> and detail only (maybe it is a cheap cable instead).
>
> I would therefore like to have any opinion on the choice of speaker
> cable for my reference.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Wallace

I think Nordost Super Flatline is one of cable that particular good at bass
control, especially for relative large driver unit like the one in your
B&W802. You don't need to spend too much on Red Dawn at the beginning, just
try bi-wired Super Flatline first to see whether you like it or not.

Cheung

Louie

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Please try Monster Cable new M2.2s !
it is very good !

Wallace 撰寫於文章 <6uqs4k$33o$1...@justice.csc.cuhk.edu.hk>...

Wallace

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Felix,

I would like to spend around $5000 or less on this upgrade issue no
matter new or 2nd hand one. Any suggestion here?

Wallace

Felix M.C. Li (feli...@techie.com) wrote:
: Well, an open question without a monetory boundary. Do you have a
: budget in mind ?

Felix M.C. Li

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
On 30 Sep 1998, Wallace wrote:

> Felix,
>
> I would like to spend around $5000 or less on this upgrade issue no
> matter new or 2nd hand one. Any suggestion here?

Single wired or bi-wired ?

I would suggest getting the MH-750Extended from "Sing Fai" in
Mongkok, with the current economic situation, you might be
able to make it at a lower price at the same time trading in
your Prime 1000.

Remember that is a heavy metal boxed model and please make
sure nothing crashed inside before buying. Ask for a test
at the shop before making any decision.

Felix

Wallace

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Nicolas,

N C Ong (nico...@netvigator.com) wrote:

: I am confused. You have Prime 1000 spk cable and also MIT 330

: interconnect. But how did you attribute fat bass and lack of treble extn
: to MIT and not some other part of your system?

Yes, I used to own MIT 330 plus but laterly sold it to my friend before
purchasing my Prime 1000 two years ago. I have AB compared the MIT cable
with some other interconnect and got the above result.

: I know of someone else who is selling or has sold his much more

: expensive interconnect after he tried the MIT 330. The reason is because
: at its best, MIT will let you listen to music and not concentrate on the
: imperfections of the CD.

Will you suggest me to find some MIT speaker cable for a trail ? What
model do you think suit my budget of around $5000 or less?

Wallace

iv...@innocent.com

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

> Get yourself a pair of 350 Reference then. Or the current 330 limited
> edition, the limited edition interconnects and speaker cables are more
> current.
>
> I happen to see a pair of 350 CVT Reference (2 terminators) selling at
> $6xxx in a 2nd hand shop (they claim it is new).

I like the sounding of 330 Extended Terminator but the 350 CVT Reference is a
bit more. Is there anything inbetween? Price around 3K to 4K?

> MIT has many different models but the number for interconnects are
> mainly 330 and 350 for MI series, after than number, there are a lot
> of models like CVT, Plus, Extended, CVT Twin Terminator, Now the
> limited edition. That is really confusing. Just to know all the models
> take a lot of time already.
>
> For most MIT products, if you can afford the CVT models, get them,
> CVT is Constant Velocity Technology.
>
> All models lower than CVT models may not give you the true
> performance of MIT cables.
>
> For speaker cables, the numbers used are mainly 750, 770 and 850.
> Most cheaper models are those using MH-750 wires. Although 750 cables
> can also be very expensive comparing to entry level 770 series.
>
> There is a good bargin for MIT MH-750 Extended (Metal box) in a
> 2nd hand shop, pricing at around $6000 for a 8ft pair. I tried it
> once in my system (borrow from my friend) and found it to be very
> good, great bass extension and very good and smooth vocal comparing
> to my CVT series II.

Just get the MIT MH-750 Extended (Metal box) yesterday, cost HK$5500 10ft
long at second handed shop. It sound more match my Krell 300i and Sonus Faber
Grand Piano than my previous AN-SP. I am using the AN-SPx jumper currently
what jumper should I use for the MIT MH-750? Also I put the metal box
directly on the floor, do you think it will sound better if I put it onto
wood or stone?

Thanks your help!!

Regards
Ivan Choi

Felix M.C. Li

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 iv...@innocent.com wrote:

> Hi,

> I like the sounding of 330 Extended Terminator but the 350 CVT Reference is a
> bit more. Is there anything inbetween? Price around 3K to 4K?

Have to find by chance, but do get a CVT than any others.

> Just get the MIT MH-750 Extended (Metal box) yesterday, cost HK$5500 10ft
> long at second handed shop. It sound more match my Krell 300i and Sonus Faber
> Grand Piano than my previous AN-SP. I am using the AN-SPx jumper currently
> what jumper should I use for the MIT MH-750? Also I put the metal box
> directly on the floor, do you think it will sound better if I put it onto
> wood or stone?

Congradulations ! You bought the one I want already while I am
still considering if I should buy it.

It should give you the smooth vocal and the required dynamics
and deep bass.

Find some wooden block under the box to separate it with the
ground, do the same to the wire if possible. But the wood is
another concern then. May be get a concrete brick la if you
can accept its outlook.

Felix

Felix M.C. Li

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

> > Just get the MIT MH-750 Extended (Metal box) yesterday, cost HK$5500 10ft
> > long at second handed shop. It sound more match my Krell 300i and Sonus Faber
> > Grand Piano than my previous AN-SP. I am using the AN-SPx jumper currently
> > what jumper should I use for the MIT MH-750? Also I put the metal box
> > directly on the floor, do you think it will sound better if I put it onto
> > wood or stone?

I forgot to write on the jumper issue on my last response, AN-SPx
jumper gives very smooth sound but the dynamics is rather weak. I
tried it on my system already, the dynamics is not good. And the
sound became slower than before, good for slow music but not good
in general. I am currently using TaraLab RSC-10 (RSC7+RSC3) jumpers
(DIY), extended high and low, but not as smooth as AN-SPx.

I am still searching for better ones for my system.

Felix

TSE CHUNG ON

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Hi Felix,

Seems you are very expert in the MIT cables, I am also considering in
changing my speaker cables, would you please give me some advice?

Gear: Denon S10II -> TaraLab Reference G2 -> Krell 300i -> Audiospec bi-wire
-> ProAc Studio 150

Under $3,000, would you consider MIT 750/850 or Cardas Gold 5C bi-wire?
Other good choice?

TIA
Aaron

Felix M.C. Li (mc...@glink.net.hk) wrote:
: >
: > >
: > > Just get the MIT MH-750 Extended (Metal box) yesterday, cost HK$5500 10ft

Felix M.C. Li

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
On 15 Oct 1998, TSE CHUNG ON wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>
> Seems you are very expert in the MIT cables, I am also considering in
> changing my speaker cables, would you please give me some advice?

I only know a few of them, cannot be called an expert ah.

> Gear: Denon S10II -> TaraLab Reference G2 -> Krell 300i -> Audiospec bi-wire
> -> ProAc Studio 150

In my experience of the above gears,

S10II - rough in the mid. and a bit cold
Reference G2 - not very good mid and a bit cold
Krell 300i - also quite rough
Audiospec bi-wire - don't know, haven't heard it before
ProAc Studio 150 - average mid (I am using it also)

> Under $3,000, would you consider MIT 750/850 or Cardas Gold 5C bi-wire?
> Other good choice?

With just $3k, I think you cannot buy a 850, no matter used or not.

Go to some 2nd hand shops to see if there is any 750CVT. Bi-wired
MITs are pretty hard to find at this price range except T2, T3 or
T4 series that is really cheap.

A new Golden 5C is around $6xxx when new, may be you can find it
around $3xxx.

I would think Cardas may be better for you.

A Cardas Golden power cord may give you more warmth if you like
warmer and thicker sound.

Felix

TSE CHUNG ON

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Felix,

Thanks for your quick response, the reason why I mention this two cables
(MIT 750 & Cadas Gold 5C) is because I saw them under $3,000 for second
hand. Anyway, I use Cardas Twinlink power cable for Krell and Dragonfly
for S10II , Do you think the improvement would be greater if I change
the powercord for the amp? (Cardas Golden Power or Furutech Power Reference?)

Aaron

Felix M.C. Li

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
On 15 Oct 1998, TSE CHUNG ON wrote:

> Felix,
>
> Thanks for your quick response, the reason why I mention this two cables
> (MIT 750 & Cadas Gold 5C) is because I saw them under $3,000 for second
> hand. Anyway, I use Cardas Twinlink power cable for Krell and Dragonfly
> for S10II , Do you think the improvement would be greater if I change
> the powercord for the amp? (Cardas Golden Power or Furutech Power Reference?)

Is it a biwired 750 ? Should not be CVT, right ?

Golden 5C is much warmer than 750. But soundstaging should be
the area of MIT rather than Cardas.

IMO, the dragonfly may not be very good. But get the speaker
cable first la.

Felix

TSE CHUNG ON

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
I forgot its biwired or not but definitely not a CVT, the price is $2,200
and $2,800 for 770.
I want a warmer speaker cable but still maintain a good soundstage, so
I will think about which one to get, may be change the interconnect also.

多謝指教

Aaron

Felix M.C. Li

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
On 16 Oct 1998, TSE CHUNG ON wrote:

> I forgot its biwired or not but definitely not a CVT, the price is $2,200
> and $2,800 for 770.

I think it should not be a bi-wired one. Which 2nd hand shop ?

> I want a warmer speaker cable but still maintain a good soundstage, so
> I will think about which one to get, may be change the interconnect also.

May be go to more 2nd hand shops to get a better bargain.

Felix

TSE CHUNG ON

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
The 2nd hand shop is "Ming Kai" at Shamshuipo, I also saw a Aparture 8+8
which looks the same as Andy's. : )

Aaron

iv...@innocent.com

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98

> I forgot its biwired or not but definitely not a CVT, the price is $2,200
> and $2,800 for 770.

> I want a warmer speaker cable but still maintain a good soundstage, so
> I will think about which one to get, may be change the interconnect also.

Interconnect? My experience with MIT MI330 Extended Terminator is that which
is good in soundstage and balance for lean system.

> : >
> : > Thanks for your quick response, the reason why I mention this two cables
> : > (MIT 750 & Cadas Gold 5C) is because I saw them under $3,000 for second
> : > hand. Anyway, I use Cardas Twinlink power cable for Krell and Dragonfly
> : > for S10II , Do you think the improvement would be greater if I change
> : > the powercord for the amp? (Cardas Golden Power or Furutech Power
Reference?)
> : >
>
> : Is it a biwired 750 ? Should not be CVT, right ?
>
> : Golden 5C is much warmer than 750. But soundstaging should be
> : the area of MIT rather than Cardas.

I think maybe the Cardas spk is to colored, it is better try it in your system
before making discussion.