About usb 3.0 performance

Lam Chan Chi

Jul 28, 2010, 9:13:12 AM7/28/10
Recently, I find my usb 3.0 performance drop quite a lot, very often less
than 50mB/s for transfer BD image to and from usb 3.0 enclosure. Now I find
that only nForce motherboard with raid 0 can speed up the performance. It
seems that with new usb 3.0 1.0.19, your motherboard must support multi-path
function, otherwise very slow performance. With new driver, the usb 3.0
extension cable can reach easily over 10 feet without slow down in speed
(Only those usb 3.0 cable with 14 wires within seem working).

I have 7 computers, here is their new config.

All motherboard with either XFX or J&W 750a motherboard, with 4G ram, OS
windows 7 32 bits, CPU either AMD 945 or 955 X4, onboard display 8300 on

One computer use Colorful 470GTX, Asus U3S6, 2x 250G 2.5" harddisk in raid 0
with OS, 1x 640G SATA 3 (attached U3S6), dvd writer, Mygica X8558

One computer use Colorful 465GTX, Asus U3S6, 1x 320G 2.5" harddisk, 1x 320G
3.5" harddisk in raid 0, 1x 640G SATA3 harddisk (attached U3S6), Mygica
X8558

One computer use Colorful 465GTX, Asus U3S6, 2x 250G harddisk in raid 0, 1x
640G Sata3, Mygica X8558

I transfer from usb 3 enclosure harddisk (1.5TB) 1x 49G BD image file to
Raid 0 harddisk, the average speed is about 98 mB/s, Then I transfer that
file from raid 0 to SATA3, the average speed is about 107 to 108 mB/s. Both
transfer time does not exceed 7 to 8 minutes. Now BD-Movie with DVDFab
seems to be quite easy for BD processing with DVDFAB for these 3 computer

The other 4 computer with 2x 260GTX, Magic Pro USB 3.0, 2x 250G harddisk in
raid 0. Raid 0 to usb 3.0 harddisk enclosure is about minimun 92 mB/s.

USB 3.0 new driver makes usb 3.0 become impossible for most motherboard, I
think. For I have tried 790GX or P45 motherboard, the result is not good at
all.

Lam Chan Chi

Jul 29, 2010, 9:08:05 AM7/29/10
For the 3 computers using Asus U3S6, I now setup 3 harddisk in raid 5 and
with 1x 640G SATA3 harddisk. Raid 5 is very difficult to setup in Windows 7.
I don't know why, I find I must use at least 1 2.5" harddisk, must use 2
harddisk of same size and 1 harddisk of double size, must carefully select
the sata port on the motherboard. Raid 5 with 3 harddisk plus 1x 640G sata3
harddisk on Asus U3S6 is quite stable for most application. It only show the
size of 2 harddisk like raid 0. Only show raid 5 on boot and in windows 7
device setting. It is not slow on copying from usb 3 enclosure or sata3
harddisk, but it is very slow on some program such as imgburn for creating
image file from vitual drive. I cannot find any advantage. But it seems to
be the best anti-virus program. It is difficult to hack in to change data
and it will die after hacking.
"Lam Chan Chi" <chan...@hotmail.com> 在郵件
news:4c502...@rain.i-cable.com 中撰寫...