October Events (or at least some of them...)

Contact Hive76

Oct 6, 2009, 3:18:23 PM10/6/09
to hiv...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
We've not been putting out regular announcements (sorry?) Instead of a proper update, here are some awesome events to hit up during Design Philly. We'll be sending out a better/longer/more detailed update later in the month.

Make things awesome, make Awesome Things!

==
ponies and fries
(ongoing project)

Adam[0] and pfh said I should mention "ponies and fries". What is it? how does it work? I don't know! If you want more info on ponies and fries too, email hive76-d...@googlegroups.com !

==
8static Chiptunes Concert
Saturday Oct 10 8PM to ???
4522 Baltimore Avenue (Studio 34)

This is a free chiptunes show.  Come see the best of electronics art and sound as circut bending V.J's and D.J.s play tunes and visuals on Nintendo, Gameboy, hacked electronics, and other awesome gear they have modified or built themselves.  This is a $8 show and us underage-friendly.   Organized by 8static (8static.com)

==
Gameboy Modding class
Sunday Oct 11 5PM to 8PM
915 Spring Garden Suite 500 (Hive76 HQ)

This workshop is intended to harness the full potential of the GameBoy as an instrument. We will be
backlighting its LCD (for performance in less than ideal ligthing conditions)  adding an 1/8" audio
jack ideal for mixers and amps, and testing and playing with it. It's $55 (or $45 if you want to be
a cheapskate) and you can get tickets at:
https://www.ticketleap.com/member/event.aspx?event_id=D5662654-C748-4ECB-A2E1-1BF02A9A3C8 Organized by 8static (8static.com)  and Hive76 (Hive76.org)!

==
Ignite Philly #4
Tusday Oct 13 8PM to 10PM
Johnny Brendas Bar ( 1201 Frankford Ave )

Ignite Philly is part of a worldwide network that entertains and educates people in short 5 minute
bursts in (20 slides, at 15 seconds each slide). These talks are a ’spark’ if you will, they are
lightening fast and leave people with a new idea to mull over and talk about. This event is at a
Bar, so it's 21 and over unless arrangements are made (sorry). Organized by IgnitePhilly (IgnitePhilly.org)

==
Python Hacking Night
Mon Oct 12 7pm - 9pm
915 Spring Garden Suite 500 (Hive 76 HQ)

This is a night to come to Hive and work on Python! If you have a project, or want to learn Python, or are just curious, stop by and hack away at some python code. We'll also check out the last few Python Module of The Week items at each Python Hacking night. Organized by Far McKon of Hive 76

==
Quake3 LAN
Thu Oct 15 8pm –10pm
915 Spring Garden, Suite 500

Warp back in time to 1999 for some HAWT Quake3 Arena action.  Since Quake 3 is now free, it's become cheap gamers platform of choice. Come hang out, eat pizza, and drink beer (or soda) and get your game on.  Gaming will start at 7 and the space will be open 6:30 to 10PM. This is organized by Adam[0] of Hive76.

==
Guitar Effects StudyGroup
Mon Oct 19 7:30pm  10pm
915 Spring Garden St Suite 500 (Hive76 HQ)

The third Monday of every month is Guitar Effects Workshop night at Hive76.  We will build a simple musical gizmo and discuss how it works.  Even if you have never touched a soldering iron (or a guitar), stop by and learn how to build simple musical electronics.  More advanced mad scientists are encouraged to come show off their own guitar effect creations.  There may be a small lab fee (less than $10) to cover the cost of parts.  RSVPs are appreciated. This Event is Organized by Jack Zylkin of Hive 76

==
Make Philly
Sunday Oct 18 (rain Date, Oct 25)
U Arts Main Building (At Broad and Walnut in Center City)

Make:Philly meetings start with a 45 min presentation by someone (anyone) building and inventing interesting things in or around Philly, and end with a 45 min. 'build challenge' where participants design, build, and play with something on the spot, based on a wacky goal. Come make things with Make Philly!  Organized by MakePhilly (MakePhilly.org)