Hitchwiki mobile app

Mikael Korpela

Nov 17, 2014, 5:03:13 AM11/17/14
to Hitchwiki
Hey everyone!

There’s a plan to redo Hitchwiki during our hackathon in Turkey ( https://love.hitchwiki.net/ ) and as a byproduct of that process will also come new two way API.

There’s also bunch of people interested in creating native apps over this new API. This discussion was private earlier, but I’m moving it to the mailing list to be public.

Leo,

We should definitely join our efforts in a same useful goal. I'm in for creating a Hitchwiki mobile team. I develop for Windows Phone and Android on a team where we have also a guy responsible for the iOS version and we're sharing most of our code. The issue here is that we use a framework called Xamarin, which allows us to have all this integration and cross-platform code-sharing, and, as well as Microsoft technologies of course, they're all paid to use. So, I don't know if using them would be possible at all, but we can discuss about it better through a mobile development mail list or something.

In theory I just want people to be active so I’m not inclined to push them to use this or that technology.

If I should state my personal opinion… don’t use Xamarin man. :-) It’s not sustainable for the future. Asking volunteers to pay 25$/month would harm the whole team effort. Even if there would be people willing to pay for it now, volunteers change and eventually you’d risk app development being abandoned.

Anyway, I’m not familiar with Xamarin nor with native mobile development in general. (I’m familiar with PhoneGap/Cordova only). I know there’s Titanium which is quite “native” and cross platform — do you know how does that compare? What are the other options, pros/cons?

There’s of course always the possibility to not have so much shared code and develop for each platform independently.

Marko, I've used your [android] app a few times and it's really great for viewing the spots. Maybe we can discuss about some API requirements for the guys in order to allow us to create the mobile apps for also adding and updating spots information?

Yeshh, please start a pad/github wiki or something for this and ping us here at the list.

Some pointers here already for you:

Current APIs:

Future:
- We’ll probably try to use https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/ quite a lot and it has its own query language via MediaWiki API
- Output formats supported by MediaWiki API / SemanticMediawiki (XML/json/KML/etc...)

Mikael

On 17 Nov 2014, at 10:43, leo carona <leonci...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello guys!

Thanks Mikael for putting me in touch with the team.

We should definitely join our efforts in a same useful goal. I'm in for creating a Hitchwiki mobile team. I develop for Windows Phone and Android on a team where we have also a guy responsible for the iOS version and we're sharing most of our code. The issue here is that we use a framework called Xamarin, which allows us to have all this integration and cross-platform code-sharing, and, as well as Microsoft technologies of course, they're all paid to use. So, I don't know if using them would be possible at all, but we can discuss about it better through a mobile development mail list or something.

Marko, I've used your app a few times and it's really great for viewing the spots. Maybe we can discuss about some API requirements for the guys in order to allow us to create the mobile apps for also adding and updating spots information? And also discuss the interface with Mikael's design skills.

I've just released the Windows Phone app that I've mentioned, as it's ready from some months already but I was the only one playing with it on my phone so far. It has other name ("My hitchhiking spots") for instance, but just because as I said I've created it to help myself on storing the information on my phone in real time so that I could remember afterwards when adding them manually to Hitchwiki. Teaming up we should definitely change it's name, look and feel and a few more stuff to make it more Hitchwiki. Share it and ask others for their feedback, so that we can get some ideas for the new apps.

Saludos,
Leo Carona.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Mikael Korpela <mik...@ihminen.org> wrote:
Yo everyone!

I’m adding you all who might be interested to follow the Hitchwiki dev discussion. Just reply if you want to be dropped out.

HACKATHON IN TURKEY

Me and Rémi are organising a hackathon in Turkey these months. We’ll hope to have a flat before end of this month somewhere south of Turkey and start working on this stuff. We are collecting funds for this now; https://love.hitchwiki.net/

Our primary focus is on making wiki+maps one and make everything work well on mobile. It’ll basically be total rewrite. We will probably start with fresh MediaWiki install and try to code our way into a point where we could migrate old stuff from Wiki AND Maps and merge them under tool.

It won’t be very simple, but we have two months or so. :-)

You’re welcome to join us!

If you don’t have time to come all the way to Turkey, perhaps somebody of us could host another hackathon somewhere in Europe? Everybody is free to stay at our spacious flat in Vilnius, Lithuania Nov-Jan.

MOBILE APP

Leo wrote this on FB:

"Let's develop an app for hitchhikers where they can save their hitchhiking spots, waiting times, evaluate a hitchhiking spot, and so on? This way they can help themselves to remember where they've been hitchhiking, and they can help us by sharing them on the internet.
Share this post on the hitchhiking communities that you make part of and let's put this idea into the Google Play store, Windows Phone store, and who knows Apple store too. "
https://www.facebook.com/HitchhikingLeoCarona/posts/1569936899886400
http://www.leocarona.com.br/2014/11/papo-de-caroneiro-nerd-hitchhiking-geeks.html?lang=en

So first I got confused, I thought he’s making totally new project separate from Hitchwiki contents. Turns out he wants to build this on top of Hitchwiki! His email is below this message. (Sorry Leo for misunderstanding! I get loads of messages regarding this stuff so I keep forgetting with whom I’ve talked before about what etc.)

Currently Maps API is read only so it’s better if we during our hackathon start working on a new API. There’s one android app out there (by Marko) using this API, so it either would need to be updated or we’d need to create a proxy for v2 API to keep supporting v1 API. Since it’s read only, it should be rather straightforward.

And un-finished android code based on Symbian version: https://github.com/mch0lic/hitchwiki-android

TICKER

There has been wishes/plans to make a ticker for Hitchhiking races. Something where you could see where all the teams are hitching, they could drop messages from the road etc. I’m not sure feature requirements for this app and what’s going on. I’ve heard from Stefan their DTSG club wants to put some money into this (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/hitchwiki/wwUGrCkcWbc) and Tramprennen.org has some plans like this as well. I don’t know much about current situation, could you guys (Malte/Stefan) elaborate a bit more so we’d all be on the same page?

Perhaps this ticker could be produced as a side kick of Hitchwiki as a feature inside maps mobile app and it would then be useful for all the HH competitions out there? Thoughts?

LET’S TEAM UP!

So far Hitchwiki mobile app development has been quite spread out and un-coordinated. People have been active on their own which is great, but it hasn’t been a group effort. I’d like to change that.

Let’s plan mobile features and API together for this stuff and start putting code under here: https://github.com/Hitchwiki/ — tell me your Github username and I can add you there.

I’m a designer so I’d be happy to see that all these apps+site would have common look’n’feel.

Thoughts?

Mikael

--
Mikael Korpela
www.mikaelkorpela.fi

On 16 Nov 2014, at 11:40, leo carona <leonci...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey there! So, this is what I was answering you on LinkedIn, I'll just past it here and we keep the talk by email just to make it easier..

Yep, definetely. We've talked by email before about this app that I've developed some time ago. It's a Windows Phone app (the version that I'm currently using) made exactly to help me on saving records for places where I've been hitchhiking so that I can evaluate them and store on my phone even when offline. This makes it easier for me to share these information on Hitchwiki later. I've been doing it from some months ago already, actually. I was checking with you about the Hitchwiki API in order to make it possible to add a button to automatically upload the spots info to Hitchwiki (I couldn't get it to work or it wasn't working when I tried, can't remember what went wrong, so I just kept adding them manually to the website).
In the app screenshots you may notice that all the fields to evaluate a hitchhiking spot in this app are exactly the fields we have on Hitchwiki, except for the one called "Attempt Result" where I can inform if my attempt to hitchhike in that spot was successful or if I gave up and decided to walk a bit farther or something because it wasn't working there.
In most of the places you find me as Leo Carona (blog, email, and also on my deactivated Facebook account through where we've also talked a bit once or twice). Just so maybe you remember it..

About the hackaton, it sounds great!

And the app, I know that there's the Android app already but it basically only allow users to view the Hitchwiki info, what is great but my intention is to encourage them to share at least basic information about spots where they've been hitchhiking. It should be as simple as pushing a button when they arrive at that spot where they're gonna hitchhike and push another button whenever they got into a car. After this, the users can also evaluate the spot by filling out those fields in order to aggregate some more info to that spot and then sync them with Hitchwiki. How does it sound for you? I mean, I wanted to have an app like this for myself at least, that's why I made it. And then now I thought - why not share it with other hitchhikers..

Maybe you could put me in touch with the guys who developed the Android app? Or maybe you know the current state of the app, if they have plans for doing changes, if it's just abandoned or what.. I think we could maybe do it all together as the spirit is the same.

--
{}
Leo Carona - www.LeoCarona.com.br

leo carona

Nov 19, 2014, 4:50:53 AM11/19/14
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,
I'm here just to let you know that I've seen this post, and I've been a bit busy the last days (taking care about some Visa stuff and so on) so I couldn't answer yet.
I wanna check all links mentioned here first, because I don't know much about some of those technologies yet ;)

But I am looking forward fo taking this project further with the Hitchwiki native mobile apps ;)

leo carona

Nov 27, 2014, 11:06:03 AM11/27/14
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm back here!
Still pretty busy, but now I found a time to check a little about the technologies you've mentioned.

I've never worked with Titanium, but I'm up to give it a try if we make a team to work with it.
Code re-usage could be very useful, but if the webservice does all the important verification on the data that we send to it, then there won't be much verification to be done/reused in our side and we could just build the apps separately.

Who else is currently in the team for mobile, or are there people interested in joining?

I'm working on the Android version of My Hitchhiking Spots currently.

leo carona

Dec 5, 2014, 8:43:44 PM12/5/14
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Question - do you guys then plan to release some API methods for other system/apps communicate with the Hitchwiki database? I think if you release methods for create, read and update spots created by ourselves then any developer could come up with some cool tools that encourage hitchhikers to share more and more information/tips from their trips. How are the plans for the hackaton concerning to this?

Mikael Korpela

Dec 11, 2014, 1:48:55 PM12/11/14
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo,

On Saturday, 6 December 2014 03:43:44 UTC+2, leo carona wrote:
Question - do you guys then plan to release some API methods for other system/apps communicate with the Hitchwiki database? I think if you release methods for create, read and update spots created by ourselves then any developer could come up with some cool tools that encourage hitchhikers to share more and more information/tips from their trips.

We’re implementing everything into MediaWiki and MW already has an API, so this kinda gets created along the way.

It’s very good especially for reading stuff and also writing stuff in is moderately easy.

Everything will be structured with SemanticWiki so you’ll have “Ask API” in use

Reading:

We might also build some MW extensions that extend the API, especially for writing stuff.

How are the plans for the hackaton concerning to this?

We are probably building some parts of the new site over the same API so we’ll be closely making sure it works both ways (read/write) smoothly.

We’ll be working here until early Feb and we started a few days ago. Still loads to figure out but it’s going well. We have some tech notes here; https://lite5.framapad.org/p/hitchwiki-rewrite-2015

You can also join us at the channel #hitchwiki at Freenode; http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=hitchwiki

There’s practically nothing yet here but you can start watching this repo; https://github.com/Hitchwiki/Hitchwiki/

So what’s the plan with native apps, suppose Xamarin is out of question?

Mikael

Mikael Korpela

Jan 1, 2015, 12:31:27 PM1/1/15
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

How are you guys, someone still interested in participating to push native HW app?

Leo, I can see you published also android version of your app — I take you have no time or interest in participating Hitchwiki offline effort anymore?

We've been working quite a bit on new Hitchwiki already and we have a lot of stuff for the API already implemented. Marko is coming here in two days to work on this as well, so we'll look trough requirements/possibilities for the API.

Lemme know if someone wants to  join here / remotely!

--
Mikael

leo carona

Jan 5, 2015, 11:17:40 AM1/5/15
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hej, sorry for taking so long to answer, I just got back home.

I'm still interested in participating on the native app development yes! For me particularly it would be way easier if we use Xamarin because that's what I'm used to, but I could try to install Eclipse and all else that's necessary for developing the Android app using free technologies. But unfortunately I won't have time to work on it before April. Lately I've been checking about lots of stuff regarding to my professional life and if I was going to stay leaving abroad, but finally all got decided and I'll stay here in Denmark. I say April because next month I'll go on vacation for 1 and half month, when I'll be mostly traveling. =/

Is that too late? If somebody will have already started to develop the app it would be even better because could be easier for me to know what I'll need to set up and so on, then we could split the remaining tasks.