Hitchwiki is awesome

Philipp Gruber

Jan 7, 2013, 10:37:23 PM1/7/13
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year everyone!

I was bored today, so I checked out all the hitchwiki statistics and thought I
should let everyone know how awesome hitchwiki is, thanks to all our
contributors.

In 2012, we had a little more than 630 000 visitors, which is roughly an average
of 1750 per day.

Here is how the number of visitors evolved in the last years:

2009: 211 066
2010: 283 757 (+34%)
2011: 444 401 (+56%)
2012: 630 000 (+41%)

No surprise, the most busy months are July and August every year.

About 3% of our visitors are accessing hitchwiki from their mobile phones.

Where do our visitor come from?

Top 5 countries:
Germany 18.9%
USA 9.4%
France 6.5%
UK 6.1%
Poland 5.6%

Let's have a look at the content.

At the moment, there are about 5100 articles in total. 2700 of that in English,
1200 in German, 279 in French and 263 in Spanish. Let's see how the (total)
numbers grow:

2006: 305
2007: 1000 (+227%)
2008: 1900 (+90%)
2009: 2400 (+26%)
2010: 3000 (+25%)
2011: 4000 (+33%)
2012: 5100 (+28%)

We are most likely the biggest hitchhiking website in the world. A google search
for hitchhiking usually shows hitchwiki somewhere in the top 5 and we have a
pagerank of 5/10, which is very high for a non-commercial site.

Future

Let's assume we'll continue growing at a rate of 25% per year and compare this
to wikitravel, which has around 62000 articles, but only a growth rate of 4.4%
per year. This means, we will probably overtake wikitravel in 2026, when both
of us will have about 120 000 articles.

Of course, I also did the same calculation for wikipedia, which currently has
around 24 000 000, and a growth rate of 16% per year. This means, we will
overtake wikipedia about 100 years later than wikitravel. In 2126, both sites
will have around 569 261 000 000 000 Articles. Yes, that is more than half a
trillion.

Looks like we are on a good way :)

If you are interested in more statistics:

Statistics about articles and editors and everything can be found here:
* http://hitchwiki.org/stats/reports/EN/

Visitor statistics are not public, but I am happy to give the link to anyone who
is interested. Just drop me a line.

Any more numbers you want to see? Email me, and I'll see what I can do.

Hope you enjoyed it,

Philipp

Kasper Souren

Jan 7, 2013, 11:02:28 PM1/7/13
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Philipp Gruber
<philipp...@flupps.net> wrote:
> Yes, that is more than half a trillion.

Does this mean we'll have an Klingon article on hitchhiking in how to
hitchhike out of Kreuzberg dressed up as a Vulcan on Sundays? ;)

Great numbers but I'm pretty sure we'll see a slowdown in growth in
the next decade.

> About 3% of our visitors are accessing hitchwiki from their mobile phones.

Is this all time or just 2012?
I think we're going to see more than half of the use through mobile
internet in the next couple of years.

Kasper

Philipp Gruber

Jan 7, 2013, 11:23:44 PM1/7/13
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 09:32:28AM +0530, Kasper Souren wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Philipp Gruber
> <philipp...@flupps.net> wrote:
> > Yes, that is more than half a trillion.
>
> Does this mean we'll have an Klingon article on hitchhiking in how to
> hitchhike out of Kreuzberg dressed up as a Vulcan on Sundays? ;)

I hope so. Feel free to write it :P

> > About 3% of our visitors are accessing hitchwiki from their mobile phones.
>
> Is this all time or just 2012?
> I think we're going to see more than half of the use through mobile
> internet in the next couple of years.

Good point. These number were only for 2012. I broke them down by the
month, and the result looks like this:

Jan: 1.4%
Feb: 1.6%
Mar: 1.6%
Apr: 2.2%
May: 2.4%
Jun: 2.3%
Jul: 3.1%
Aug: 4.0%
Sep: 3.2%
Oct: 3.1%
Nov: 3.2%
Dec: 3.5%
Jan: 4.1% (as of today)

Seems to me that in summer, when people where out hitchhiking they
realized how useful their smartphones can be. Also, apparently quite
some people got smartphones for christmas.

What surprises me more, is that most of the mobile users are on Android (Jan 2013):

Android browser (PDA/Phone browser) 27574 3.2 %
Samsung (PDA/Phone browser) 3787 0.4 %
IPhone (PDA/Phone browser) 2708 0.3 %
LG (PDA/Phone browser) 1450 0.1 %
Sony/Ericsson Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 1430 0.1 %
BlackBerry (PDA/Phone browser) 749 0 %
Nokia Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 611 0 %
Motorola Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 250 0 %
Unknown WAP browser (PDA/Phone browser) 229 0 %

These numbers should indeed grow rapidly soon. Might be time for some
more mobile device optimizing.

Philipp

Mikael Korpela

Jan 8, 2013, 4:31:17 AM1/8/13
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Ou jea!

Thanks for checking it out.

So, it's good that we've now got responsive design for smaller screens.

Maps now has 10832 places marked:

Germany 1516
France 1272
Netherlands 616
United Kingdom 538
Poland 493

Hitchability:
Very good 6260
Good 7365
Average 3635
Bad 1888
Senseless 825

19973 hitchability votes
3400 comments
8610 waiting times

More http://hitchwiki.org/maps/statistics/

Hopefully we'll see new version of Maps this year with responsive design!

Happy 2013,
Mikael

Thomas Weber

Jan 8, 2013, 5:04:29 AM1/8/13
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mikael and all hitchwiki freaks,

I wish you all the best for 2013! I am happy how hitchwiki is developing and i like to see it grow day by day.

I have one annotation for hitchwiki maps. I think I am admin and I often find stupid places. For example if you look at the top citys you find gemünden in germany. but some places there are in the forrest at no road with no hitchability and no description. i can not delete them and i think garbage in maps grows day by day. can you checke the delete function again?

maybe from time to time somethink like that would also make sense:
DELETE FROM PLACES WHERE Description IS NULL AND Hitchability is NULL

See you on the road again.

Tommy

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 11:31:17 +0200
> Von: Mikael Korpela <mikael....@gmail.com>
> An: hitc...@googlegroups.com
> Betreff: Re: [hitchwiki] Hitchwiki is awesome

Kyle Matthews

Jan 8, 2013, 5:56:52 PM1/8/13
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
This is fascinating to read about.  Hitchwiki is a solid resource and I always try to tell people about it when I meet them on the road.

Anick-Marie Bouchard

Jan 13, 2013, 11:29:52 AM1/13/13
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
re: hitchwiki in Klingon