ipv6

Mikael Korpela

Jul 6, 2016, 6:03:17 AM7/6/16
to Hitchwiki
Hola!

I just got this:

> Apple is testing new and updated apps on a ipv6-only network. Yheyinsist apps should work using ipv6.
> I couldn't find an ipv6 address for hitchwiki.org.
> Is hitchwiki reachable via ipv6?

Philipp?

Mikael

Philipp Gruber

Jul 6, 2016, 6:30:40 AM7/6/16
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
I remember disabling this long time ago for some reason. Don't remember why.

I just turned it on again. Might take a day for the DNS changes to
propagate around the world.

Let's see how it goes this time :)

Mikael Korpela

Jul 7, 2016, 5:33:37 AM7/7/16
to Hitchwiki
Cool, thanks.

I was looking into this stuff and one of the issues we gotta be observing is this:

...has the drawback that IPv4 addresses are translated to IPv6. This can cause problems if your app does IP checking against blacklists like Akismet or StopForumSpam because unless you build in a reverse translation layer, your app will check the IPv6 translation of the spammer's IPv4 address, which won't match any of the IPv4 addresses in the blacklist.

Additionally this test http://ipv6-test.com/validate.php reports: "This domain has no IPv6 DNS server, this may prevent some IPv6-only users from reaching it."

My ISP (or router...) doesn't support ipv6 yet so can't test locally if the site actually works via it.

Mikael

Philipp Gruber

Jul 7, 2016, 7:55:40 PM7/7/16
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Works fine for me and in the access log I can see quite some users are using it already.
Let's see how much of a problem this is in regards for spammers.
If it is, we'll need to find a way to fix it. Sooner or later we need IPv6. I'd prefer sooner than later.

I'll put that DNS problem on my todo list.
Won't be too critical yet, as there are very few IPv6-only users in the world, as a lot of websites won't work with such a setup.

Cheers,

Philipp