Light on position

oo-O-oo

Nov 18, 2012, 9:58:44 AM11/18/12
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone.

I got some proposal for hitchwiki maps. Positions need to have another reference. The reference about light at dark time. Options are:
  • Definitely has light,
  • Definitely has no light
  • Dunno.
It will be usefull for hitching at night or at winter time when days are short.

Ralf Platschkowski

Nov 18, 2012, 10:27:23 AM11/18/12
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Agree, good point!

But how would you call it? Night-visibility? Degree of light
pollution? Or simply "streetlights / other light source available
yes/no" ? :)
> --

Ralf Platschkowski <plat...@gmail.com>
Mobile: +4915785922101 (D) +31610224801 (NL)
Web: https://profiles.google.com/platschi/

Kasper Souren

Nov 18, 2012, 10:37:43 AM11/18/12
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM, oo-O-oo <oo-...@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I got some proposal for hitchwiki maps. Positions need to have another
> reference. The reference about light at dark time. Options are:
>
> Definitely has light,
> Definitely has no light
> Dunno.

Good idea! And yes / dunno / no are probably good options.

There might also be other factors, such as safety. Some places are way
safer to get to than others. And there's maximum and average speed.
Max speed could possibly be derived through on of the mapping APIs,
now or in the future.

Kasper

oo-O-oo

Nov 18, 2012, 11:32:31 AM11/18/12
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
I mean Is there is any street light above someone head to highlight hitchhiker on the road.

Mikael Korpela

Nov 19, 2012, 2:44:36 PM11/19/12
to hitc...@googlegroups.com, hitc...@googlegroups.com
That's cool idea!

I was thinking of adding some tagging possibility for places. Tags would be pre defined and people could just click them on/off per place. In that way we could add loads of useful bits of info there.

Ideas so far:
- gas station
- bus stop
- dark at night time (how to shorten? Just dark?)
- busy traffic
- no much traffic (clever word for this?)
- traffic lights (is it really useful info?)
- direction south/north/east/west

More?

Purpose of these bits would be to help comparing many good places. If there's only one spot, people go there no matter what.

Do you people have more ideas? I'm in the middle of thinking new maps. Maybe possibility to add some other kinds of spots? Like events at least. Maybe drawing shapes (direction lines that could appear only when clicking the place?). Streetview should be useful? Weather and traffic layers...

Mikael

oo-O-oo oo-O-oo

Nov 19, 2012, 3:18:52 PM11/19/12
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Also I thought about Shelter as busstop or bridge or whatever where we can hide in rain. Some positions with shelter in rainy weather preferrable than other with good hitching reputation but without shelter.

In central asia it's essentially to know where to get some free water. Bottled water is common but takes a lot money.

Thomas Weber

Nov 20, 2012, 2:57:58 AM11/20/12
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mikael,

If you need implementation help, you can also ask me!
How is your café going in Vilnius?
Did you see that my book is ready?

I am planning to go to Tampere and St.Peterburg in June 2013.

Thomas

-------- Original-Nachricht --------