hitchwiki maps for iphone

elve...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2016, 6:27:53 PM4/3/16
to Hitchwiki
Hi Hitchwiki team,

I saw that there is an android app that can download and navigate hitchwiki maps even in offline mode, but I haven't found anything similar for iPhone. Do you perhaps know of any such app? Or do you know if anybody is working on something like that? I have used hitchwiki in the past and I worked this around by planning and researching my route beforehand, then saving screenshots of the possible stops on my phone ;) but I guess with a dedicated app it would be much less tedious.

It so happens that I do iOS development in my free time, so if there is an ongoing but not released project I might as well be able to help, and if there isn't, maybe I can write something along the lines of the android app. I just don't wanna jump into it if there is already a project in the making.

If there is no iOS app but you like the idea, I'd like to get a copy of the hitchwiki map database to begin with. Ok, actually I already crawled most of it (lol) through the API but working with an SQL dump would be much easier. If I got to write the app, the first version would be read-only, but later on I could add interaction too. Oh and the app would obviously be free and open source.

Anyway, let me know if you have any info of the above and whom I should contact.

Cheers,
Tamas

Philipp Gruber

Apr 4, 2016, 1:22:08 AM4/4/16
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tamas,

There is no "official" Hitchwiki app. The ones you find for Android are
made from independent developers, using Hitchwiki's APIs.
While we do not have any direct affiliation with any of these
developers, we are very happy about the fact that people make Hitchwiki
apps and help spreading the information.

So, if you are keen on working in an iOS app, we'd definitely appreciate
this a lot.
We will also help you get any information you may need.

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide full SQL dumps, as the
database contains some private information like password hashes, email
addresses, clear names of users who don't want to reveal their clear
names, and so on.

We do have dumps of Hitchwikis content though, you can find them here:
http://hitchwiki.org/en/Hitchwiki:Database_dumps

With these, you can set up a blank Mediawiki and just load them into it,
which will result in an accurate copy, spare user accounts.
Let me know if you need help with setting this up.

Alternatively, you can of course get your app to directly parse these
files, although I'm not sure if that will scale.

Let me know if that works for you, or if you have other ideas on how to
access our data.

Cheers,

Philipp

elve...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2016, 7:44:05 PM4/4/16
to Hitchwiki
Hi Philip,

I haven't really looked at the wiki to be honest, my top priority is to get an offline map working.

I understand that user privacy is important and so a full SQL dump is not an option, but would it be possible to drop the sensitive stuff from the exported data? I don't know of the underlying data model but I imagine spot descriptions, comments, ratings, and waiting times just reference a given user by some numerical ID. I would be just as happy with those numbers pointing to nothing, or perhaps to a username at most. What I would gain though is a better overview of the table/entity relations, more accurate data in some cases (e.g. proper timezone info in all timestamps), and also a lot of time by not having to write HTML parsers to extract information that is not exposed via the API (e.g. detailed rating/waiting stats which seems to be only available through the /ajax/ call).

You could say that for an MVP that's totally superfluous and you would be right. :) Still, it would make it easier for me to get started.

Tamas

Philipp Gruber

Apr 4, 2016, 7:56:23 PM4/4/16
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tamas,

Sorry, I misread that part that you are only interested in the maps
database. That's a different story :)

I can probably give you a dump of these information. Let me just confirm
with Mikael, who developed the map to make sure there's no sensitive
information in there.

Cheers,

Philipp
> > an email to hitchwiki+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:hitchwiki+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:hitc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/group/hitchwiki>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

elve...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2016, 3:48:09 PM4/17/16
to Hitchwiki
Hi Philipp,

Thanks in advance for the DB dump if you can arrange it. In the meantime I came across an anomaly in the API: there is at least one place (e.g. 6393) which appears on hitchwiki.com/maps but gives an empty result when queried through the API. Do you know why this could happen? Is the public API accessing a different database than the front-end?

The two requests:
http://hitchwiki.org/maps/api/?place=6393 (no luck)
http://hitchwiki.org/maps/ajax/place.php?id=6393 (sunshine, happiness)

Cheers,
Tamas

elve...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 12:16:57 PM4/24/16
to Hitchwiki
Yet another observation that adds to my confusion: compare

http://hitchwiki.org/maps/api/?place=25005

and

http://hitchwiki.org/maps/ajax/place.php?id=25005

The API says it's a five star place, while it is shown as "senseless" when viewed on the site. Now what?... :P
Message has been deleted