Best place to discuss dev-related issues

Alexey Krichun

Dec 18, 2015, 9:22:55 AM12/18/15
to Hitchwiki
Hi,

Activity in Russian Hitchwiki as been increased recently, and we faced various developer-related issues: missing images, map plugin doesn't work, etc.
What is current state of HitchWiki development and what is the best place to diccuss issues like that?
I posted to github and to Community portal, but haven't received any answer. This group seems to be not very active.
It's a really pity if such a good project is abandoned.

--
Alexy

Mikael Korpela

Dec 18, 2015, 1:30:16 PM12/18/15
to Hitchwiki
Hi,

Thanks for writing!

(Strictly technical details at Github, otherwise it's all over the map and impossible to follow. General discussion here at the mailing list is ok.)

I hear your concerns and I agree, it's a great pity. It's an issue I think requires more work and attention than any bug out there.

For the background: me (Mikael), Philipp and Kasper have been pretty much the only people active with the development of the site. A year ago Rémi and Olexandr helped out for a couple of months to create the new version, which we didn't manage to finish year ago with the time we had. More about that below.

We're all extremely busy people and Hitchwiki has been lower and lower at our priorities over the years, sadly. From volunteer projects https://www.trustroots.org/ is currently my top priority, but I also have to make a living somehow. (Would be great if that living would come trough these projects.)

I've been asking around for more volunteers for a while now and thinking how to make it easier for people to hop in.  I've also directly asked a bunch of people if they would like to take lead responsibility, but no dice so far. Hitchwiki's structure isn't the most sexiest out there to work on (it's PHP, MediaWiki is quite of a monster and things are generally hard to make look/function great device wise.)

That new hitchwiki that I mentioned is nagging in my mind all the time and I (and the rest of the team) really wants to get it out. It would fix a lot of issues (esp. at mobile front) at once and lay out much easier bunch of code for anyone to continue development. I've been busy, new stuff has kept appearing requiring my attention and I've been postponing in all the summer/autumn/winter. It would require me sitting down for like a half week/week to work on it.

Currently my todo list for this stuff looks very promising and I'm pretty confident we can publish the new version out this winter.

However, when it comes to daily fixing/maintenance, it still falls trough our priorities. We need new pro-active and self organised devs really badly. I think I'll roll out a small campaign for that soon. Other ideas welcome as well!

Mikael

Anick-Marie Bouchard

Dec 18, 2015, 1:38:00 PM12/18/15
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Will help out for dev recruitment. Give me technical info/requirements that I can format in an ad through my networks, and I'll orient them a bit (Google Group, Github). I'm not a tech person but have recruited techs for CS before, it's worth trying.

Mikael Korpela

Dec 18, 2015, 1:41:11 PM12/18/15
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
> Will help out for dev recruitment. Give me technical info/requirements that I can format in an ad through my networks, and I'll orient them a bit (Google Group, Github). I'm not a tech person but have recruited techs for CS before, it's worth trying.

Thanks! Let’s do this once I’m back from travels (I’ll be mostly offline for the next one and half weeks starting Saturday, hiking/hitching California) and I can ensure I’m there for anyone who needs to know more about HW development.

Mikael

Anick-Marie Bouchard

Dec 18, 2015, 1:53:44 PM12/18/15
to hitc...@googlegroups.com
Ok I will wait for your follow up on this then.

Alexey Krichun

Dec 21, 2015, 7:07:34 AM12/21/15
to Hitchwiki
Hi,

Thanks for explaining!

Actually I am a software developer, but I have very little experience with web development (my profile is mostly Android). So maybe I can help a little in some technical things. I'm not ready to commit for participation in something large-scaled, but I can try to help fixing current issues.

BTW I always thought that MediaWiki is more or less ready-to-go engine (as it is so widely used). Am I wrong or do you plan something really different in new Hitchwiki version?