3rd Party HistoryPin Apps?

Translucence

Aug 15, 2014, 8:49:32 PM8/15/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
I'm chatting to some people who are keen to make a new history app.
It's early stages yet, but I'm concerned that like so many other history apps, this will just be another very limited HistoryPin clone.

But it occurs to me that everyone could be pulling together, rather than in separate directions, if they could link into some HistoryPin API, to build some exciting new app for HistoryPin, allowing and encouraging people to add more content to HistoryPin.

As previously discussed, I know HistoryPin is reconsidering its "mobile approach", with the buggy apps no longer being fixed.

I think one area of interest to them is walking tours. Apparently some other history apps have them but HistoryPin doesn't - except that the HistoryPin website does have a section for setting up tours - just it isn't shown via the app where it would be most useful. I haven't used that tour section on HistoryPin - is it supposed to be used for walking tours or just a sequence of photos? There seems to be no guidance how to get from one place to another - on the tours I looked at, clicking "next" seemed to abruptly jump to a different map.

It would also be great to be able to take repeats - the modern recreations / overlays of old photos. That no longer works at least in the Android app, and the website doesn't allow the repeat photos to be added directly.

Let me know what you think, either here or via email

C.

Jon Voss

Aug 15, 2014, 8:54:42 PM8/15/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chris, I like how you're thinking and these kinds of projects could definitely be interesting, indications of use cases and guideposts for future development.  Let's take it to email.

Thanks, Jon

Jon Voss
Historypin Strategic Partnerships Director

ph. 415-935-4701

James Morley

Aug 16, 2014, 3:43:17 AM8/16/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com

A very big +1 to Chris's post - an API is something I've mentioned since day 1. More than happy to join the conversation if you want me to :)

Cheers, James

Neil Saunders

Aug 18, 2014, 7:10:45 AM8/18/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

Another +1 from me on opening up the collection to reuse and remix.

Many thanks,

--
Neil Saunders
Founder

CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This transmission may be privileged and may contain confidential information intended only for the recipient(s) named above.  Any other distribution, re-transmission, copying or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone or return email, and delete this message from your system. Thank you.

robin aka georgiawebgurl

Aug 18, 2014, 11:27:01 AM8/18/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
APIs are extraordinarily useful in so many ways. I could definitely see this as being of benefit to historypin, its community of users, and developers working on all sorts of projects.

robin fay
@georgiawebgurl

Jon Voss

Aug 18, 2014, 3:19:35 PM8/18/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone.  Yes, we love APIs and this is something we're continuing to look at.  What was intriguing to me about Christopher's post was a specific use case for an API, which is what we'll be doing research into at some point along the way.  Currently, we've been looking at API use specifically for GLAM sector partners as part of an effort to effectively "round-trip" data from ingest to enrichment to incorporation back into institutional collection metadata.  It turns out to be pretty complicated, but we're getting there!

Neil, I know we've already got you on our developer list (and you too James), and if anyone else wants to sign up, here's a Google Form to do so.  Additionally, if you have specific use cases you'd be interested in using an API for, please hit me off-list and we can explore it further.

Thanks, Jon