Encouraging collaboration

Steve

Feb 6, 2012, 9:59:14 PM2/6/12
to Historypin Community
I'd really like to see some new tools for encouraging collaboration
between pinners. Here are a few ideas to bounce off the group:

1. I second Mike Strange's suggestion for some form of email
notification when someone comments on a photo you've pinned. A
temporary option, as I mentioned in a previous post, would be to add a
"Most Stories" tab on your profile page, basically a sort based on the
# of Stories. Email notification is the long term solution but I
thought the "story sort" could be a short term option.

2. Another idea is to provide pinners with some means of contacting
each other directly. If a user does not want to be contacted then
this could be controlled somehow in their profile. It would at least
allow those who are interested in collaborating the option of doing
so.

3. It might be interesting to include some sort of live chat
function. For example, if I was viewing a map of London and it
indicated that 3 other Historypin users were viewing the same map it
might lead to a discussion. I realize this could be a bit complicated
to implement but I'll add it to the wish list nonetheless.

4. Last but not least, I'd love to be notified when someone pins a
photo to an area I'm interested in. I've pinned a lot of photos in
and around Victoria, BC and would like to know when someone else pins
something. It would encourage me to check out the image and possibly
comment as well. I envision a tool that would let me pin a marker and
tell Historypin to notify me whenever a new photo is pinned within "x
miles" of that pin.

I can understand that you wouldn't want to implement a feature that
might take the discussion off site but I would hope that most dialogue
would result in stories being added to Historypin.

Cheers,
Steve Clifford
Victoria, BC, Canada

James Morley

Feb 7, 2012, 3:36:58 AM2/7/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
All great ideas, and I despite my lengthy reply to the last thread I
have to agree with Mike that these things around topicality and
encouraging dialogue should be a higher priority.

More comments in-line ...

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Steve <st...@steveclifford.com> wrote:
> I'd really like to see some new tools for encouraging collaboration
> between pinners.  Here are a few ideas to bounce off the group:
>
> 1. I second Mike Strange's suggestion for some form of email
> notification when someone comments on a photo you've pinned.  A
> temporary option, as I mentioned in a previous post, would be to add a
> "Most Stories" tab on your profile page, basically a sort based on the
> # of Stories.  Email notification is the long term solution but I
> thought the "story sort" could be a short term option.

A daily digest email would be great, together with a page on the site
that had them all in reverse chronological order.

> 2. Another idea is to provide pinners with some means of contacting
> each other directly.  If a user does not want to be contacted then
> this could be controlled somehow in their profile. It would at least
> allow those who are interested in collaborating the option of doing
> so.

Great idea. I guess the question is whether you'd just do this in its
simplest form - an email link - or if you'd want to build in some sort
of inbox function so that all messages were stored on the server, kind
of like a forum. In fact if a forum was enabled this sort of
functionality would likely come with it. A members' forum I think
would be a nice idea, though again there is a risk of the dialogue and
contributed information happening away from the photos. But on the
other hand sometimes you think of a comment but don't want to add it
as a 'Story' that is perhaps not directly relevant, so if you could
have a forum thread for each region/country that could be a great
place for people to converse.

> 3. It might be interesting to include some sort of live chat
> function.  For example, if I was viewing a map of London and it
> indicated that 3 other Historypin users were viewing the same map it
> might lead to a discussion.  I realize this could be a bit complicated
> to implement but I'll add it to the wish list nonetheless.

I wonder if there are currently enough users online at the same time
to make this viable?

> 4. Last but not least, I'd love to be notified when someone pins a
> photo to an area I'm interested in.  I've pinned a lot of photos in
> and around Victoria, BC and would like to know when someone else pins
> something.  It would encourage me to check out the image and possibly
> comment as well.  I envision a tool that would let me pin a marker and
> tell Historypin to notify me whenever a new photo is pinned within "x
> miles" of that pin.

This is the nicest idea of the lot. Of course you'd also want to be
able to have multiple regions. What about the *option* for a user to
make this selection public so that you could generate a map of users'
interests and see overlaps, hotspots etc? And then with the option to
make contact as suggested in #2, and possibly region-focussed forum
topics, you start to build a real community.

Back to the idea of seeing the latest items anywhere, perhaps as a
first step towards it, it would be nice to have some sort of visual
'flag' and/or filter mechanism so that you could easily view the
newest content (added in last month?) on the main map, wherever you
are.

James Morley

Feb 7, 2012, 3:41:51 AM2/7/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
And two other things I meant to add:

- notification when someone uses one of your images in a collection or
tour (and a link to the collection/tour from the image so all users
can see it)
- ability to add comments to collections and tours (low priority)

And very finally, some of the more advance or specific features are
the sorts of things that if a full API were released then developers
could have no end of fun coming up with all sorts of clever stuff that
we wouldn't have even dreamed of.

James

Bart Hos

Sep 12, 2013, 12:50:05 PM9/12/13
to histo...@googlegroups.com
This group does not get much traffic, and I know this is an old thread - but I wanted to add my vote to being notified of new pins in a certain area (i.e. within 5km of a point). This would help collaborations and identifying people who may be interested in a certain area.

Rebekkah Abraham

Sep 12, 2013, 1:11:06 PM9/12/13
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks for the feedback - we love this idea of localised notifications and are looking forward to being able to integrate more community features like this in the future. We definitely want Historypin to be a place where you are able to connect with people in your area and who share your interests, as well as a place that you find fantastic historical content.

Warm wishes,

Rebekkah

Rebekkah Abraham
Historypin Operations Director