Can't email other users?

Translucence

Jun 14, 2014, 11:08:59 PM6/14/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Just noticed that there's no way to directly contact other users of HistoryPin other than commenting on a specific picture.

Mike Strange

Jun 15, 2014, 4:43:39 AM6/15/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Not correct if they made a Channel to add their photos into, created a profile and put in contact details.

Mike

On 14 Jun 2014 , Translucence said:

Just noticed that there's no way to directly contact other users of HistoryPin other than commenting on a specific picture.

Jon Voss

Jun 16, 2014, 1:33:56 AM6/16/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there's no way to directly email users through the Historypin platform.  Mike's right that many put their Twitter or FB or other blogs into their profile, but the only direct communication now comes when you comment on a user's content.

We are working toward enabling and encouraging those connections and one of the first steps is to change our terminology from "Channels" to "Profiles." The idea is that we're beginning to make Historypin more about people than just content.  You may notice this went live on the site last week.

Thanks, Jon

Mike Strange

Jun 16, 2014, 2:08:57 AM6/16/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

I am not so sure that 'profile' is any better than 'channel'; indeed it may be a backward move.

To me a profile is simply a page about the person rather than the photographs.  It may have been better to use 'collection' so that there are general and personal collections with the general ones being as per the existing Histoypin ones and personal collections to replace channels. The problem with this is that there would then be collections within a collection for the personal application unless the internal collections were renamed projects.

No that wouldn't work .... this has made me look closer and begs a question; at the top level what exactly is the difference between a project and a collection? Fundamentally they look to be the same except that anyone can add to projects (which have to be initiated by yourselves) but a collection can be initiated by anyone and added to only by that person.

It seems to need deeper thought but 'profile' doesn't work for me.

Mike

Rebekkah Abraham

Jun 17, 2014, 4:38:37 PM6/17/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike,

Indeed you are right that profiles suggest people, which is what we are trying to highlight more on the site. And the. Our next challenge is to untangle some of the confusion and overlaps (funtionaly and semantically) around a person's content on their channel, collections, tours and projects. We are working on this and hope to be bringing more clarity and better fit between purpose and tool soon.
Warm wishes,

Rebekkah

Jon Voss

Jun 18, 2014, 12:23:45 AM6/18/14
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike,
Also, I think this will make more sense once we start getting some of the new designs out there. You're on our list for a UX session (thanks for volunteering!), which includes some of that, so you'll be hearing more soon.

Thanks, Jon

Jon Voss
Historypin Strategic Partnerships Director

ph. 415-935-4701

We Are What We Do
London | San Francisco