Re: [historypin-community] Abridged summary of historypin@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Mike Strange

Jul 27, 2020, 4:40:21 AM7/27/20
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tori

Many thanks for your message; I do remember you from those early days.  I, and I am sure what remains of the History Pin community, look forward to hearing from Jon with his plans for the future.

I hope Jon is still following here so I have a suggestion I would like to put forward. Instead of having multiple accounts for different themes I would welcome being able to wrap up multiple themes under a single account.  One of the main reasons for this is having to use the Google login so needing multiple email addresses which gets into quite a muddle when using a secure automatic sign-in tool. This has actually deterred my from starting new themes.

Best wishes
Mike

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Jul 27, 2020, 11:21:45 AM7/27/20
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike, and all!
I’ll be honest, I had pretty much forgotten about this google group, and I appreciate your reactivating it!

First about your technical question, I may not understand what you mean by themes, but I believe that can be accomplished by creating different “collections” under the same account, which is possible. So you can create a collection for the different themes you want to explore. Let me know if that’s not what you’re looking for.

As for the bigger question of what’s up with Historypin, there is quite a bit happening, though we’ve been quiet for some time. Over the last few years the team had been focused on a major project in London called King’s Cross Story Palace and another major project called Storybox, both of which explored various aspects of story sharing that took us away from the map-centric exploration. As Tori mentioned, we are now running Historypin out of the US, and we are getting back to our roots of exploring history and community through geolocation. We received a grant from the National Endowment of the Humanities to explore updated designs and infrastructure to continue to support Historypin, the results of which we’ll share soon. We have applied for a next round of funding to actually support the implementation of those designs in the summer of 2021, in time for the 10th anniversary of Historypin’s launch.

In the meantime, we continue to support a number of community-based cultural memory projects, as well as many university-based projects. In the next few months we hope to add a few new languages to the site, including Hebrew and Arabic, in addition to Spanish, French, Greek, Bulgarian, and of course English which are already up and running. We’ll also be doing a better job providing ways for individuals and institutions to support this non-profit project by making advanced subscriptions and services more easily available.

I hope that’s helpful, and consider it a teaser, as there is much more in the works that we’ll be releasing more publicly in the coming months.

Thanks for your continued interest and support, and don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further questions.
Jon

Jon Voss

Historypin

(504) 383-4652
Skype: jonevoss
Twitter: @jonvoss
historypin.org
Our Storybox kits help bring communities #onestorycloser

masterblaster

Jul 28, 2020, 6:18:02 PM7/28/20
to Historypin Community
I see it looks as if we have three more members still on the side!

My choice of words saying themes was misleading. I have one account for the town where I used to live and notched up approaching 200 historic images with some of those in collections. I did the same thing for my personal pictures of where I had lived been. On moving and becoming very involved with the village history I thought I would have a third account, it was a bit tiresome to have to then have three differecnt accounts, allo of which would have collections within them. I was hoping there would be some way in which all three could be wrapped up into a single log-in account with the three sets of images and collections within it but as separate entities. If this were the case I would almost certainly be inclined to start other entities but the thought of managing email addresses and passwords for each is a deterent.

I will mention briefly here in case others have a similar problem that I have been unable to log into my earliest account about Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. The email address I used for that account (not gmail+) is still accepted but the password was not. So I used the Forgetten Password feature to reset the password but the email has not been received; can anyone here pick that up here or is there someone on the end of he...@historypin.org?

Mike
Jon
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to histo...@googlegroups.com.