Flickr to Historypin Exporter

Jon Voss

Dec 6, 2012, 7:12:33 PM12/6/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,
We've been getting several questions about pulling data from Flickr to Historypin, and while we don't yet have Historypin API's to help us with this, we do have the wonderful work of James Morley, who's put together a Flickr-to-Historypin Exporter, with some notes and caveats below.  If you use it and have any questions or comments or feedback, please reply to this list so we can track the suggestions or workarounds together.  Please keep in mind that James built this as a labor of love, and for that, Mr. Morley, we thank you.

Thanks, Jon

Jon Voss
Historypin Strategic Partnerships Director

ph. 415-935-4701

We Are What We Do
London | San Francisco

Begin forwarded message:
I've done some tidying up of the exporter. It now has a much easier interface, and allows you to filter by text or tag, and to change the sort order. I've also paginated results to make it quicker.  I've also done some much needed enhancements to the way the csv is created, notably transforming existing Flickr CC licences into HP values, refining the way dates are captured, and setting thing like owner with the Flickr username. It also now has a landing page and some simple instructions/help.

The remaining issues are things that aren't easily fixed, if at all, but I don't think are show-stoppers:
- the only way to know if something is already pinned is by setting a 'historypin' tag on Flickr (with a HP API it would be possible to check more robustly)
- opening the csv in Excel can corrupt the date formats
- as I recall (I need to recheck this) HP strips out any html from teh Flickr descriptions so you lose any links etc

More than anything though it now needs some testing and feedback as I'm sure that there are issues, especially content-related that I haven't been able to spot just with my own images.

I'm happy for you to point people to it at http://www.whatsthatpicture.com/flickr/historypin/ but would suggest that people do a few test uploads first, before getting too carried away. By the way, I've had a thought about a version for large-scale users where they could put all their images that they wanted to export into a temporary Flickr set and then just do a one-off download, rather than one-by-one like here. It should be very simple to do, and maybe we can ask people if that would be a way they'd like to use it?

Regards, James

--
---
James Morley

Colleen Greene

Dec 6, 2012, 7:55:00 PM12/6/12
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to testing this out!  I've been hoping/waiting for this feature for a long time -- iNaturalist provides a way to harvest photos from Flickr and Picasa from within their "pinning" tool.

Thanks,

Colleen Greene
--
Colleen Greene
Librarian | Web Developer & Strategist | Educator

Irene Sveian

Apr 9, 2013, 4:50:52 AM4/9/13
to histo...@googlegroups.com
I like the Flickr-to-Historypin Exporter, but i guess it doesn't support other languages/alphabets. Like Norwegian and the letters æ, ø and å. They end up as symbols like "=C3=A5" after exporting.
Also its a problem if we use hyperlinks or text formatting like bold and italic. Since we use them a lot on Flickr its crucial that they also make it through the Exporter.

Webeditor, The municipal archives of Trondheim

James Morley

Apr 9, 2013, 5:43:53 AM4/9/13
to histo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Irene

Great that you've given it a try, and thanks for the feedback. There are various reasons at both the Flickr and Historypin ends as to why the character coding issues may have happened, but it should be possible for me to do a bit of work to sort this. Could you share a link to a typical image that I can use as a test?

Thanks,

James

---
James Morley