Cladistics and computing technology

1 view

Seosamh

Oct 1, 2011, 8:22:43 PM10/1/11
to History of Paleontology
I've followed (ok, I've read, but I swear my lips weren't moving!)
several discussions revolving around the cladistics of certain
dinosuar lineages.

How has the advent of inexpensive computing power changed
paleontology? Were scientists cranking out these kinds of analyses by
hand, with fewer characteristics and much longer "computation time"
before mass-produced microprocessors? Is someone recognized as the
first to apply these mathematical techniques to exploring zoological
relationships?

Thanks,

Joe

Schenck

Oct 11, 2011, 9:44:42 PM10/11/11
to History of Paleontology
Were cladistics calculations /ever/ done by hand? I thought cladograms
were basically always computer generated?