Danger in our neighborhood

Marla Faith

Mar 31, 2024, 2:57:06 AMMar 31
to historic...@googlegroups.com
Warning! This (Easter Eve) morning at 1:30 am my adult daughter and her friend were walking back to our home from a club, and they were jumped by 3 guys. Her friend was hit with a gun that bloodied his head. Money, phone, credit cards, jewelry, keys, and shoes were stolen. All 3 assailants held guns to their heads. My daughter and friend are still talking to police (it’s 2am now) at 9th & Russell. Please be careful out there!

Emily Richer

Mar 31, 2024, 4:54:14 PMMar 31
to Marla Faith, historic...@googlegroups.com

Yikes!!

S9th St is so not a safe place to walk at night Marla!!  Especially holiday weekend nights, but I’m heartbroken to hear this, and thanks for sharing and warning.

The folks comfy mid-block on interior streets here just have no idea… and I’m not permitted to post what I see…

A lot of general lawlessness goes down at 9th & Russell.

I have Ring cameras on both Russell and 9th as there is an astounding amount of chaos.  Thugs know hotel guests and drunk bar hoppers are wealthy and unaware of their surroundings here.

One hotel guest was robbed at gunpoint at the corner waiting for their Uber a year or two ago.  Of course, the hotel does not provide a safe loading zone in back, as their permit requires, so that doesn’t help!!

Also, realize a lot of our neighborhood homes are Airbnb’s now.  (Just try to get in for breakfast at Sky Blue.). I’m not opposed to homesharing but these guests are unaware of the danger here.

I was gardening along 9th St yesterday right up until dark and the street was just packed with well-dressed tourists all afternoon and evening.  I could barely get through with a small lawnmower.

Because the entertainment venues and bars do not provide parking in the commercial district, and because our leadership does not consider 9th St to be part of our neighborhood (for residential permit parking, which I strongly think should be openly discussed), we are hosting the party bar parking lot.  Adding to the target density…

Bar patrons walking to their Airbnbs and to their cars makes S9th a “target-rich” alley...

I’m grateful you sent this painful email as I am banned from the HEN Facebook for trying to educate fellow residents about reality up here at our 9th St gate!

I wish we had open communication and a zero tolerance policy for individuals and businesses breaking laws in our community.

Marla, I checked my Ring videos and snapshots from last night.  I have five cameras around my house if that gives you any idea….

— My 9th St camera battery was dead, it captures only 9th from Russell south, toward the alley.  The Russell hotel does have cameras on 9th facing their parking lot. I was told this by the “onsite manager” as it was the operator’s “excuse” for violating their code requirement to install a short landscape hedge along 9th.  (She said they didn’t plant it because she wanted to confirm hotel guest license plates from her office (although most cars do not have front plates…).

— From my Russell St camera, I do see a police car at the corner starting at 1:32 - and maybe ambulance? shortly thereafter, but nothing useful recorded before then unfortunately.  Just too far away and outside my motion-detection zone.  I do see lights were flashing on/off in the parking lot starting about 12:30—The Russell hotel to its credit has added motion lights on that lot, as a safety feature for guests.  For sure at the Russell St entrance.  I was awake… surprised I didn’t hear glass breaking but had TV on...  Wish I had heard and could have done something for your daughter and her friend…

It seems the window smashing did not come south on 9th.  The Fatherland Airbnb guest that always parks in front of my front door, an Audi Q5 right now, didn’t get its windows smashed.  That was the only car that stayed overnight far as I can tell.  I noticed it last night cuz it’s a gorgeous car.

So sorry this happened to your family Marla.

 If this email goes through… EVERYONE please be aware that the activity on Russell especially at this intersection (near the ever-expanding lineup of Broadway East party bars on Woodland) is completely different than the quiet interior streets of Fatherland and Boscobel.  Assuming the neighborhood atmosphere is the same for all of Edgefield is a big mistake.

I walk Fatherland and am astounded y’all can leave nice things on your front porches and can hear a pin drop at 9pm on a warm Friday night, but walk up to Russell and you’ll be dodging stumbling people and cars circling for parking at 60MPH.  I wish Russell St, and corner houses here, had a voice in our community—we see it all first…

I would never walk around here late at night.  Maybe with a big dog or two, showing I’m not a tourist, otherwise no way.

A sad Easter for Edgefield.

EMILY RICHER