Column component

Brian Street

Sep 15, 2017, 11:45:34 AM9/15/17
to Hippo Community
A common use of CMS's is one-off "landing" pages whose layout may not conform with existing patterns.  Or that need to experiment rapidly without development deployments.

Are there any recommendations (or existing modules/plugins/components) that allow the author to create & modify the layout for landing pages?  Specifically, if they want to break an arbitrary row into columns?

One concept would be a column component that allows dragging other components into the different columns of the column component.  The "columns" would effectively be containers, but be dynamic (without developer interaction).  The minimum requirement would be permit adding & deleting components to each of the columns, but it would be highly desirable to be able to drag components between the columns.  Unfortunately, the current CMS authoring may not permit the "containership" abstraction.

An alternate solution would be to have multiple components that basically open & close each column.  In CMS/editing, you would view only 1 column, but allow dragging the column markers (or components between markers) around.  Then in normal mode, let all the components render the columns and their contained content appropriately.  This is less desirable because the authoring abstraction is far from WYSIWYG.  But at least it would enable new pages with different layouts without developement cycles.

Are there any existing solutions or examples for either of these paths?

Woonsan Ko

Sep 15, 2017, 12:42:26 PM9/15/17
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
No good solution so far, AFAIK.
But I had a very similar wish and reported my wish here:

So my idea was, each container must be able to change its HST.xType property, which means we can associated any custom container render templates for different use cases. e.g, xType: 3-columns, 30,70%-2-columns, etc.

Regards,

Woonsan

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

71 Summer Street, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02110
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466