Updater Editor not starting groovy scripts

Marc van Teerns

Jun 14, 2016, 3:36:29 AM6/14/16
to Hippo Community
Hi All,

I'm having a problem with the Updater Editor. For some reason it won't start (or stop) scripts anymore, but it doesn't log any errors either. It seems to do this for the instances in our DTAP environment, but not locally. This suggests it's a data problem, but for some reason the problem resolved itself on the Dev and Test environment with no change except for a restart. On the acceptance environment this stil is a problem however (even after the restart) and since some scripts are essential in an upcoming release this is a blocking issue keeping us from going to production.

Question is if anyone has any experience with similar problems (and maybe resolved them :-) )?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

   Marc

Jasper Floor

Jun 14, 2016, 7:28:48 AM6/14/16
to Hippo Community
Doesn't sound familiar. You could try increasing the log level on the updater classes.

When you restarted dev/test did you do a reindex?

mvg,
Jasper

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Marc van Teerns

Jun 15, 2016, 12:44:23 AM6/15/16
to Hippo Community
The problem was resolved after the following:

Please check if update node is locked and if so please remove the lock (via Hippo console).
Node I am talking about is /hippo:configuration/hippo:update.
If node is locked:

  • remove any current scheduled update scripts from the queue
  • unlock updater node (you should have that option within Hippo Console, toolbar menu)
  • after this, go to CMS update editor and reschedule update scripts

NOTE: this lock behavior happens if node script that was running didn't finished it's job and server shutdown happened.

Unfortunately I did not see this information amongst the notes for the Updater Editor, so either this has been stabilized in 7.9 and upwards or I hope it will be added for future reference, because this problem was quite uncatchable  without help. Still, very glad it's clear now. :)

Jasper Floor

Jun 15, 2016, 4:13:16 AM6/15/16
to Hippo Community
Hi,

Good to know it's been resolved. Thanks for letting us know.

mvg,
Jasper

Ard Schrijvers

Jun 15, 2016, 4:13:49 AM6/15/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Marc,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Marc van Teerns <anw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem was resolved after the following:
>
> Please check if update node is locked and if so please remove the lock (via
> Hippo console).
> Node I am talking about is /hippo:configuration/hippo:update.
> If node is locked:
>
> remove any current scheduled update scripts from the queue
> unlock updater node (you should have that option within Hippo Console,
> toolbar menu)
> after this, go to CMS update editor and reschedule update scripts
>
> NOTE: this lock behavior happens if node script that was running didn't
> finished it's job and server shutdown happened.
>

> Unfortunately I did not see this information amongst the notes for the
> Updater Editor, so either this has been stabilized in 7.9 and upwards or I
> hope it will be added for future reference, because this problem was quite
> uncatchable without help. Still, very glad it's clear now. :)

Nice catch that you found it, thanks for your feedback. Which version
(repository) did you have this problem with? Quite some improvements
where made in the locking so perhaps this has already been fixed. Is
it possible that you try this with a newer (version 10) repository to
see whether it got fixed? If not, we should at least document it and
if possible fix it

Regards Ard
--
Hippo Netherlands, Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hippo USA, Inc. 71 Summer Street, 2nd Floor Boston, MA 02110, United

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com