Best way to work with Hippo when many teams work on the same Hippo instance

stl

Apr 17, 2017, 9:33:04 AM4/17/17
to Hippo Community
Hi

The company I work for decided to adopt Hippo. Developers are split into several teams and usually work on independent projects/libs. The plan was that one team migrates our current webpage into Hippo and then my team takes over the project and continue adding some reporting functionality for customers.

Life is unexpected and some deadlines had to be moved. What results in situation when both teams will have to work simultaneously and our work will be merged at the end.

We (the team) have some basic knowledge about Hippo. Each team member knows how to install and went through tutorial.

The reporting functionality we need to prepare has almost no business logic, just rest call to external system to fetch lot of numbers and present these number in view layer. The view layer must be embedded into layout prepared by other team.

So here comes my question. I think merge operation of two "hippo" projects will be difficult, these are so many areas where conflicts can occur, namespaces, templates. css, repository. Would it be better idea to prepare reporting functionality as plugin(set of functionalities installed via essentials), which brings components necessary to display reports to end user?

Then, in theory, we would be able to take migrated webpage, add our plugin and drag-drop components into pages.

Could you recommend me what is the best way to handle described situation?

Thanks

Jasper Floor

Apr 18, 2017, 3:36:50 AM4/18/17
to Hippo Community
Hi,

Separating functionality into a plugin is a fine way of aiding collaboration, if it is possible. I think such separation may also lead to a cleaner design. Using branches in scm is also an option, and it is not always possible or desirable to separate into a plugin. In such cases the work may be divided in several teams, but you should collaborate on an architectural level. Certainly conflicts can occur, but this is not unique to a Hippo project. It really shouldn't necessarily be any more difficult, though the separation into a plugin avoids some possible human errors. It may also add overhead.

In your specific case it sounds like developing as a plugin would work fine.

If you require more detailed support you should contact our sales department or your account manager if you are already a customer. We have excellent solution architects available to help you, which is my objective opinion ;).

mvg,
Jasper

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)