Rest API not returning certain documents

Max Pagels

Feb 11, 2016, 10:42:50 AM2/11/16
to Hippo Community
Hi!

I have two problems I haven't figured out the solution to and would appreciate any help.

Problem 1

We have an endpoint that allows us the retrieved documents based on their UUID. Currently, in our production environment, some documents aren't being returned despite them being published correctly in the CMS. This only affects a small percentage of documents; the majority are returned in the API response just as expected.

I'd normally say that this is due to a bug in our API implementation, but we are having no problems when running Hippo locally or in our test environment. The problem only occurs in our production environment. I took an XML export of the production data, imported it into our test environment, and everything worked as expected. Even more curiously, we found a workaround to fix "broken" documents: copy the broken document, thereby generating a new UUID and delete the old one. Another workaround is to move the broken documents to another folder in the CMS. After that, our API endpoint works just as it should.

I investigated the issue further, and through the repository console /cms/repository, I am able to find the problematic documents using the UUID search. Using the XPath option, however, doesn't give any results (it does for the documents that aren't broken).

We've started to think that this may be a problem with inconsistencies in the search index in our prod. environment. I followed the steps on http://www.onehippo.org/library/administration/maintenance/checking-and-fixing-index-inconsistencies.html to perform a consistency check, but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Problem 2

Problem 2 may or may not be related to problem 1. In our prod. environment, it seems that a bootstrapped query template has broken. When I try to create a document of associated type, I get this odd error:

I checked through the console, and the node for the template query is there. I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Curiously (again), this problem doesn't occur locally or in our test environment. In the test environment, the content repository is bootstrapped just like it is in production. If this issue is due to a problem in our bootstrapping, then the test environment should have the same issue.

I don't think this issue has to do with a possibly broken search index in our production environment. Could it be that the repository needs a consistency check?

Again, any help on either of these issues would be very appreciated!

-- Max

Ard Schrijvers

Feb 12, 2016, 4:30:22 AM2/12/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Max,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Max Pagels <max.p...@sc5.io> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have two problems I haven't figured out the solution to and would appreciate any help.
>
> Problem 1
>
> We have an endpoint that allows us the retrieved documents based on their UUID. Currently, in our production environment, some documents aren't being returned despite them being published correctly in the CMS. This only affects a small percentage of documents; the majority are returned in the API response just as expected.
>
> I'd normally say that this is due to a bug in our API implementation, but we are having no problems when running Hippo locally or in our test environment. The problem only occurs in our production environment. I took an XML export of the production data, imported it into our test environment, and everything worked as expected. Even more curiously, we found a workaround to fix "broken" documents: copy the broken document, thereby generating a new UUID and delete the old one. Another workaround is to move the broken documents to another folder in the CMS. After that, our API endpoint works just as it should.
>
> I investigated the issue further, and through the repository console /cms/repository, I am able to find the problematic documents using the UUID search. Using the XPath option, however, doesn't give any results (it does for the documents that aren't broken).
>
> We've started to think that this may be a problem with inconsistencies in the search index in our prod. environment. I followed the steps on http://www.onehippo.org/library/administration/maintenance/checking-and-fixing-index-inconsistencies.html to perform a consistency check, but that didn't help. Any ideas?
>
> Problem 2
>
> Problem 2 may or may not be related to problem 1. In our prod. environment, it seems that a bootstrapped query template has broken. When I try to create a document of associated type, I get this odd error:
>
> I checked through the console, and the node for the template query is there. I couldn't find anything wrong with it.
>
> Curiously (again), this problem doesn't occur locally or in our test environment. In the test environment, the content repository is bootstrapped just like it is in production. If this issue is due to a problem in our bootstrapping, then the test environment should have the same issue.
>
> I don't think this issue has to do with a possibly broken search index in our production environment. Could it be that the repository needs a consistency check?

This second problem might also be related to the search problem
because it uses a search actually.

Question: Do you have a clustered setup? If so, you might have not
configured cluster node id's correctly, and as a result, one cluster
node might not update its index.

Also note that for these kind of production (clustering) problems we
have official support. You can contact Hippo (sa...@onehippo.com) for
this if you want. If you already are a customer you can contact
helpdesk best

HTH,

Regards Ard

> Again, any help on either of these issues would be very appreciated!
>
> -- Max
>
> --
> Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Hippo Netherlands, Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hippo USA, Inc. 71 Summer Street, 2nd Floor Boston, MA 02110, United
states of America.

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com