How to run hippo CMS with system tomcat instead of the bundled one?

Eric Nguyen personal

Feb 12, 2015, 12:38:48 AM2/12/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
My ultimate goal is to be able to server the static files e.g. CSS outside of the WAR file

Eric Nguyen personal

Feb 12, 2015, 12:44:35 AM2/12/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
How do I configure the docBase under <Host> tag in Tomcat server.xml as mentioned here?

Martijn Hodenpijl

Feb 16, 2015, 4:02:39 AM2/16/15
to hippo-community
Hi,

Using the host tag in the context.xml of Tomcat is never done before, AFAIK. I can give you some pointers ...

The context.xml you can find under the folder conf/ in your Hippo project. The configuration is described in the Tomcat documentation (http://tomcat.apache.org/). This configuration depends on the Tomcat version you use. If you deploy to a server, you need to take care that Tomcat picks up the context.xml from your project (see http://www.onehippo.org/library/deployment/create-and-deploy-a-project-distribution.html). Locally the Maven cargo plugin will take care of this (see http://www.onehippo.org/library/development/run-and-develop-with-cargo.html).

Make sure you exclude the folder with static images from the hst:host configuration, as described in the first paragraph of http://www.onehippo.org/library/concepts/request-handling/mount-matching.html

I am not sure if your solution will work, as said. I have never seen it in projects.

Usually projects use Apache to server static images outside the WAR files. If you want to use Apache with Hippo, see http://www.onehippo.org/library/deployment/configuring/configure-apache-httpd-web-server-for-sites.html

I hope this helps,

Martijn

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn Gijsberti Hodenpijl
Hippo Solution Architect

m.hod...@onehippo.com

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 101 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com