Deploy Hippo in Heroku

youssouf adaweh

Feb 27, 2017, 5:03:02 AM2/27/17
to Hippo Community
Hi,

In Hippo, There are two web applications packaged as war files inside a directory called webapps, a number of libraries in a directory called shared/lib, another set in a directory called common/lib, and some configuration files such as a log4j descriptor and a Tomcat context descriptor in the conf directory.

But in Heroku, I can not find the directory of tomcat to deploy these directory like the structure of Hippo (shared/lib, common/lib, conf).

Thank you

Jasper Floor

Feb 27, 2017, 5:26:40 AM2/27/17
to Hippo Community
Hi,

I can't help with Heroku, but I can explain the Hippo dist structure. It's the tomcat structure. Libraries in the shared and common dirs are available to all webapps. The difference is whether they are visible to Tomcat (basically which classloader loads them). The conf dir is for configuration. Read up on that in Tomcat docs when relevant. And the webapps dear speaks for itself.

What Heroku does is unknown to me, but that is not really a Hippo issue. You'll have to contact Heroku.

mvg,
Jasper

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

youssouf adaweh

Feb 27, 2017, 5:53:50 AM2/27/17
to Hippo Community
is there a way to deploy only site.war and cms.war ?? Because I don't find a way to deploy all these directory in heroku tomcat

Jasper Floor

Feb 27, 2017, 6:02:48 AM2/27/17
to Hippo Community
No, you need the shared/common libs. I suppose you could add them to the dist, but you still need the conf as well. I don't know how Heroku works, but presumably if they offer tomcat they have a way of using it. Perhaps they support only a very specific way of using tomcat, I don't know.

Jasper Floor

Feb 27, 2017, 7:02:00 AM2/27/17
to Hippo Community
Had a quick look at Heroku and I don't think you can simply run Hippo there. They seem to want to reduce the infrastructure burden, but that also means you don't get control or even details about how that works. Perfectly valid structure, but the limitations don't match the Hippo architecture. I do suggest you contact Heroku or at least check a Heroku forum. I just did a quick scan of their site and docs.

You probably can get Hippo to work on this architecture, but is it worth the effort? I think you'd be working around their system as the limitations they impose have a purpose.

mvg,
JAsper

Dodo

Feb 27, 2017, 4:28:38 PM2/27/17
to Hippo Community
HI Youssouf,

I tried to answer/provide an option on stackoverflow, but perhaps it will help to post it here as well. I'm not sure if, and how well it will work, but it would be an interesting exercise:

Hippo requires access to the entire Tomcat instance for setup at least. I've read through the Heroku documentation (most of it just skimmed), but I can't see that they provide that access.

However, there is possibly a second option which you may be willing to try; build Hippo in a docker image, and deploy that into Heroku:

Creating a docker container for hippo

Deploying docker container to Heroku

I haven't tried or tested any of this, so I can't guarantee it's success. But if you're limited to using Heroku, then it's at least worth a try.

Also, if you manage to get it running using docker, I would be extremely interested to know more details.