Multiple containeritemcomponent's with same content

Bradley Deutsch

Mar 8, 2016, 6:13:01 AM3/8/16
to Hippo Community
Hi,

If I have a containeritemcomponent that collects the parameters for its content by an edtior in the CMS section, is it possible for me to reference those components parameters in another containeritemcomponent or another containercomponent?  For example, I want to have the same content displayed on two different ares of the page, but I don't want to have to specify the content in both places.

Thanks,
Brad

Wim Lustenhouwer

Mar 8, 2016, 7:08:12 AM3/8/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brad,

did you look at the catalog item function?

There’s a metric ton of stuff that comes to mind based on the broad description you supplied. There are a lot of different functional designs applicable, so I’m unable to detail them all.

Basically what you can do with catalog items is have a container item available to select in any page (or hardcode them in your template).

Hope this helps
Wim

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Bradley Deutsch

Mar 8, 2016, 7:24:40 AM3/8/16
to Hippo Community
Hi Wim,

Thanks for your response.  From my (limited) knowledge, the catalog feature will allow users to dump a snippet anywhere on the page.  I'm referring to a direct reference of a containeritemcomponent's config. Maybe this will be clearer:

+ hst:workspace
| + hst:pages
|  + somepage
|    + main [hst:component]
|      + container [hst:containercomponent]
|        + area1 [hst:containercomponentitem]
|        | - hst:xtype = HST.Item
|        | - hst:parametername
|        | - hst:parametername
|        | - hst:parametervalue
|        | - hst:parametervalue
|        + area2 [hst:containercomponentitem]
|          - hst:xtype = HST.Item
|          - [HERE I'D LIKE ACCESS TO THE CONTENT IN area1

Maybe a catalog would still apply here, I don't know.

Thanks,
Brad

Wim Lustenhouwer

Mar 8, 2016, 8:21:23 AM3/8/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brad,

what you do with catalog items is basically define your containtercomponent and then have a reference to it under area1 and area2.

So it seems to be right for your use case.

so how that works is

hst:hst
-hst:configurations
—yourzone
—Catalog
——someComponent
— — yourparameters

hst:pages
-somepage
—main
—container1
—-V-box, ReferenceToCatalogitem
—container2
——V-box referenceToCatalogItem

If this is unsuitable you might want to try setting the parameters through your regular hst:components.

Bradley Deutsch

Mar 8, 2016, 9:50:51 AM3/8/16
to Hippo Community
Ok, I will look more into catalogs.

Right now syntactically I can't see how this works. When I create a catalog component, I cannot seem to reference it as you have stated.  With attempts to reference the catalog item, the log outputs that its not supported, and it removes the reference.  It lets me dump the catalog item onto the page - but as a new item with its own config.

Brad