Feature request: adding modules extends essentials

Michel Drenthe

Jan 21, 2016, 3:48:39 AM1/21/16
to Hippo Community
Ik would like to see a feature where after adding a module by adding a dependency within a pom file.

The essentials site shows this module also. Where a configuration (button) is added to add the already included features that are already inside the module.

Idea behind is: after adding a module won't have to go into the console to add included features by hand that are presented inside the module already.

Oscar Scholten

Jan 25, 2016, 10:29:24 AM1/25/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michel,

I'm not sure about the exact flow you are after, but Hippo Essentials has the concept of a plugin Marketplace [1].

First a short introduction on Hippo Essentials: this tool enables a developer to create a Hippo (Maven) project by adding plugins to your project. Each plugin has a combination of CMS components, HST components and (sample) content. When you follow the Getting Started tutorial you are using Essentials to generate your project.

At the moment, Hippo provides a set of these plugins from which you can choose. Hippo Essentials is envisioned to have multiple providers of the "list" of all features. This feature is not productize yet, but it would allow for 3rd party developers to offer a set of plugins for other developers to use in their projects.

For more details, also read [3].

Does this answer your question? If not, let me know.

Cheers, Oscar

--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 745 Atlantic Ave, 8th Floor, MA 02111

Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
US +1 877 414 4776
www.onehippo.com | www.onehippo.org

Michel Drenthe

Feb 4, 2016, 2:11:20 AM2/4/16
to Hippo Community
Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the explanation about the Essentials part.

By example of workflow: (Enterprise forms)

After adding the adding maven dependencies: CMS (hippo-addon-eforms-repository, hippo-addon-eforms-cms) HST (hippo-addon-eforms-hst)
There are still files missing: JSP dependencies (changes)

Is it possible, after adding the dependencies that essentials can detect it can run Enterprise forms and allows the developer to add the missing files and CMS configurations?

Cheers,

Michel Drenthe

Oscar Scholten

Feb 4, 2016, 3:01:42 PM2/4/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michel,

Right, think I see what you are hinting towards.

Are you in the process of developing a plugin for Essentials to install Enterprise Forms into a project?

In general: the goal of Essentials is that it is possible to install and/or switch on/off features for your Hippo project. At the moment, the Enterprise features are not yet available in the Essentials feature library. But we are planning to add this in the future.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Michel Drenthe <m.dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it possible, after adding the dependencies that essentials can detect it can run Enterprise forms and allows the developer to add the missing files and CMS configurations?

Yes, to a certain extent. An Essentials plugin typically contains an instruction set of actions like adding dependencies, copying files, etc. Have a look at [1] for more details. In the Essentials code base you should see several examples (search for XML files containing <instructionSet>).

These instructions can be run automatically when a feature is installed, or more interactively. For instance [2] executes one or the other instruction set depending on the choices in the UI.

[1] <essentials-checkout-dir>/plugin-sdk/api/src/main/resources/instructions.xsd
[2] org.onehippo.cms7.essentials.dashboard.restservices.RestPluginResource#executeInstructionPackage

Cheers, Oscar

Michel Drenthe

Feb 8, 2016, 3:46:00 AM2/8/16
to Hippo Community
Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the information.

Are you in the process of developing a plugin for Essentials to install Enterprise Forms into a project?

And first wanted to check if Hippo wasn't making it already.

I am in the process of run all the Hippo features inside one project.
Where I use the onehippo documentation. Where getting stuck find out whats missing and return feedback on the onehippo documentation.

The repeating steps of putting default configuration into the CMS console/Site started to feel like. How to make this more simple and less error prone.
Using Essentials is looking the right way to solve this part of development.

Cheers,

Michel Drenthe

Oscar Scholten

Feb 9, 2016, 4:18:15 AM2/9/16
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michel,

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Michel Drenthe <m.dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you in the process of developing a plugin for Essentials to install Enterprise Forms into a project?

And first wanted to check if Hippo wasn't making it already.

We do not have a firm plan for making these plugins, but if you're interested in doing co-creation we can certainly explore that!

I am in the process of run all the Hippo features inside one project.
Where I use the onehippo documentation. Where getting stuck find out whats missing and return feedback on the onehippo documentation.

The repeating steps of putting default configuration into the CMS console/Site started to feel like. How to make this more simple and less error prone.
Using Essentials is looking the right way to solve this part of development.

Very true. We are experimenting with using the Essentials REST APIs to scaffold test projects for similar reasons. Again, if you're interested in doing some knowledge sharing let's see if we can meet up the coming days/weeks.

Cheers, Oscar