Beginner questions

cle...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2015, 11:25:43 AM4/2/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am a developper and I really have difficulties to understand some things to do with hippo CMS.
I succeed to download and run the basic project : hippo-project-archetype but it's quite empty.

I tried to create a new page following this page but I can't see the "Add new Page" button. It says on the page that I have to configure a prototype page, I guess in the console (under /cms/console) but I have no idea how to do that. I mean I find the item but I don't know if have to import a CND file or something like that.

Can anyone explain to me how to do that ?

Clément,

Jeroen Reijn

Apr 2, 2015, 12:26:28 PM4/2/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Did you use the archetype at [1] ? If so you probably went straight to http://local host:8080/cms/ , but you might want to go to http://localhost:8080/essentials and install one of the content / component related plugins like news, blog, banners, etc. It will give you some out of the box pages to use and install. By default there are no pages defined unless you install some first via essentials.

If you are new to hippo I would recommend  to follow the getting started trail to get accustomed to the system.

Jeroen
--
Hippo Community Group: The place for all discussions and announcements about Hippo CMS (and HST, repository etc. etc.)

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Bert Leunis

Apr 3, 2015, 4:26:17 AM4/3/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello Clément,

The page you found explains how new page templates can be created in the Channel Manager. But before you can create any page there you need do define prototype pages indeed. How to do that is explained at [1]. If you want to see some prototypes at work, log into [2], edit a channel and add a new page. You will see there are different types available there, as an example.

[1] http://www.onehippo.org/library/concepts/hst-configuration-model/prototypepages-configuration.html
[2] https://cms.demo.onehippo.com/

With kind regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Bert Leunis

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 745 Atlantic Ave, Third Floor, MA 02111

US +1 877 414 4776
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

cle...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2015, 5:24:26 AM4/3/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys for your answers.
Jeroen,
Yes, I did use the archetype used here and after I installed a few modules I can drag and drop new components in the edit channel view. That's great.
I think I was not clear for my question because I was thinking about the look and feel (or skin) and not really the component. As an example, when you create a wordpress project it's already beautiful and you're ready to begin.
I am disappointed because there are not beautiful "ready to go" template.

Bert Lunis,
Thanks, I found this but it's really difficult to understand and there is not step by step example with screenshot explaining how to define prototype pages.

Clément,

Jeroen Reijn

Apr 3, 2015, 12:22:23 PM4/3/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clement

Op vrijdag 3 april 2015 heeft <cle...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:
Thanks guys for your answers.
Jeroen,
Yes, I did use the archetype used here and after I installed a few modules I can drag and drop new components in the edit channel view. That's great.
I think I was not clear for my question because I was thinking about the look and feel (or skin) and not really the component. As an example, when you create a wordpress project it's already beautiful and you're ready to begin.
I am disappointed because there are not beautiful "ready to go" template.

Ah I understand now. Well yes it's true that it does not look beautiful out of the box after installing some features. We use a very minimal booststrap skin. However this is intentional, because from our experience every project/implementation has their own design, page structure and wishes, which usually does not meet our customers requirements.
We also want to give complete freedom when it comes to how frontenders / designers want to visually present a hippo driven site. This is a trade-off between making it look nice from the start and developers having to remove the stuff we added before being actually able to begin working on their project.

The target audience for Wordpress is quite different IMHO and most Wordpress installations won't have any customizations, but are used as is with perhaps a different skin.

I would love to get feedback also from the wider community on this. If you think that we should make the out of the box experience nicer I would love to hear about it.

Let me know!

Jeroen

Shyla Rajeev

Apr 3, 2015, 3:39:44 PM4/3/15
to hippo-c...@googlegroups.com
I liked the Hippo approach of minimum out of the box styling as most companies will have their own styling preferences. And I completely agree to the statement that the audience is different for wordpress and hippo.

Thanks
Shyla
To post to this group, send email to hippo-community@googlegroups.com

RSS: https://groups.google.com/group/hippo-community/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml?num=50
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hippo Community" group.