"IdeaShape Studio" is developing the English forum

Jolly

Jul 3, 2007, 10:12:21 PM7/3/07
to Hipihi
Hi Suezanne,

Don't worry about it. In fact, "IdeaShape Studio" is developing
the English forum. But we need a native English speaker to manage it.
Will you serve as the manager or could you find someone ? Waiting for
your comment.

Kind regards,
Jolly

Sue Baskerville ( SuezanneC Baskerville )

Jul 4, 2007, 12:36:07 AM7/4/07
to Hipihi
I can give it a try, if it doesn't work out the job can go to someone
else.

Zafka reports that some translation of the interface is on the way.

Sue Baskerville ( SuezanneC Baskerville )

Jul 4, 2007, 12:37:25 AM7/4/07
to Hipihi
Is this an English forum in the Hipihi company forums, or a third
party forum?

Jolly

Jul 4, 2007, 1:13:41 AM7/4/07
to Hipihi
It's a third party forum developed by "IdeaShape Studio" instead of
Hipihi Office. But I'll cancel the development if Hipihi office would
make an English forum. Therefore it should be based on the comment
from Zafka.

On Jul 4, 12:37 pm, "Sue Baskerville ( SuezanneC Baskerville )"

> > Jolly- Hide quoted text -

Sue Baskerville ( SuezanneC Baskerville )

Jul 4, 2007, 9:10:30 AM7/4/07
to Hipihi
There is no particular reason why there can't be a company sponsored
forum in English as well as third party forums. The company might
well have it's hands full working on the program code and social
system design, and not want to devote resources to forum management.
It's hard for me to use the company forum, since it's in Chinese; even
if a single English language forum was created inside the Chinese
forum, if the forum interface is in Chinese, using it would still be
hard. The difficulty in using a Chinese interface forum is why I
started just adding posts to a thread I started in what I think was a
"announce yourself and your group" forum, I can find my thread and add
a post and not have to worry about finding the correct forum for a
particular type of post and getting it wrong and thus violating forum
etiquette.

Jolly

Jul 4, 2007, 10:39:04 PM7/4/07
to Hipihi
Yes, you are right based on the chat between Zafka and me. It seems
I'm the first person be developing an English forum for Hipihi.

But I do have concern. You know so far there are only you and Rene
interested in Hipihi as foreigners. I don't think it's the right time
to make an English forum. We are busy for many important projects.
Even I'm afraid there's no persons managing the forum after we spend
much time to develop it. I think we could make the forum when there
are enough foreigners. How do you think ?

On Jul 4, 9:10 pm, "Sue Baskerville ( SuezanneC Baskerville )"

Sue Baskerville ( SuezanneC Baskerville )

Jul 5, 2007, 9:28:41 AM7/5/07
to Hipihi
This Google group might be sufficient to serve as a forum for starting
out - it is simple and works adequately for many purposes.

I think the interest from non-Chinese speakers stems largely from lack
of non-Chinese documentation and support. If the company wants to
interest non-Chinese speakers it should lead the way, starting out by
making an English language forum. If they don't want to spend the
resources on that at this time, then if third parties provide adequate
information in other languages, the interest will be there. The
interest will come after readable information is available, not
before.

I suspect that the need to install the Asian language pack and enable
Chinese PRC and Chinese Simplified in the Control Panel Regional and
Language settings is deterring people from giving Hipihi a try right
from the start, above and beyond not being able to read the
interface. There are no instructions regarding this on the Hipihi
web site. This topic needs to get covered in depth if people are
going to try Hipihi while it is in Chinese.

There is now a set of screenshots of the interface with English
translations soon to be made public by Zafka. I'm sure there will be
some new interest once the screens showing the prim building interface
become known. A new virtual world in which SL building skills can be
put to use is bound to interest some people.

Time to go to work.