Installing "East Asian Language Pack" -- without Windows software CD's

A.

Apr 22, 2008, 5:23:34 PM4/22/08
to Hipihi

My problem is that like many people I bought computer which had XP
*pre-installed* and so am without disks containing the language pack.
At the MS website and after googling for an hour (see
http://www.google.com/search?q=download++%22East+Asian+Language+pack%22&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_en___US232&start=0&sa=N
I cannot find a link to a download of the East Asian language pack.
This is an example of why MS is so loved, I think.

Does anyone have any idea if it is possible for me to get the language
pack without using a torrent? In my search, I see that some people
talk about having to use not only their orginal Windows CDs but also
an SP2 cd! Again, I do not have any XP cd's. I've written to HiPiHi
support with this issue as well, who knows if anyone would have any
idea, but it may be good to make them aware of their Overseas Users'
difficulties.

If you have your Windows CD's, there is a useful walk-through at
http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs/AsianStudiesDept/Language/index.html

Sue Baskerville ( SuezanneC Baskerville )

Apr 22, 2008, 8:39:28 PM4/22/08
to Hipihi
I think the link you provided for the walkthrough is one I looked at
back when I started in Hipihi.

You can order a SP2 CD from Microsoft at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
which I found instantly by Googling for "order SP2 cd".

Are you able to display Chinese websites with Chinese characters? Do
you ever get the question about "Would you like to install support for
such and such fonts?" I'm not sure but I think if you say yes to that
question you get what you need.

Have you checked to make sure you don't already have support for East
Asian characters installed?

Some system that have Windows installed have a partition, sometimes a
bit obscured, looking like a separate drive. Possibly the needed
file are in there.

I recommend trying to look at some chinese language web sites , like
hipihi.com, novoking.com, uworld3d.com, and, the qq.com site in
Internet Explorer.

Then go to control panel region and locale and see what you've got.

I don't have a Windows CD and I"m pretty sure that I had support for
East Asian lanaguages already installed on both computers.

On Apr 22, 4:23 pm, "A." <adrian.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My problem is that like many people I bought computer which had XP
> *pre-installed* and so am without disks containing the language pack.
> At the MS website and after googling for an hour (seehttp://www.google.com/search?q=download++%22East+Asian+Language+pack%...
> I cannot find a link to a download of the East Asian language pack.
> This is an example of why MS is so loved, I think.
>
> Does anyone have any idea if it is possible for me to get the language
> pack without using a torrent? In my search, I see that some people
> talk about having to use not only their orginal Windows CDs but also
> an SP2 cd! Again, I do not have any XP cd's. I've written to HiPiHi
> support with this issue as well, who knows if anyone would have any
> idea, but it may be good to make them aware of their Overseas Users'
> difficulties.
>
> If you have your Windows CD's, there is a useful walk-through athttp://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs/AsianStudiesDept/Language/...

Sue Baskerville ( SuezanneC Baskerville )

Apr 22, 2008, 9:45:07 PM4/22/08
to Hipihi
If you have Office XP you may be able to to use this link :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=deb6731a-ca36-47a3-b4a0-2a1d19eefa05&displaylang=en

I don't have Office so I can't test it.

One might be able to borrow an XP CD from a friend or from a
workplace.

This link might work: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/recommended/ime/install.mspx
. That's for the Microsoft Global IME for 32-bit windows for folks
without Office. I don't know if that satisfies Hipihi's
requirements.

Also, as a general resource, register at www.ideashape.cn and when
you have a question post it in the hipihi forum there and also post it
in the Overseas Zone forum at forums.hipihi.com.

The ideashape site runs an MSN group for hipih and one for just opened
up uWorld. These groups have " help chat rooms" that can be accessed
from MSN or WLM. I just got help through one of those groups last
night.

Also if you are in facebook it can't help to join the facebook hipihi
group and paste your question in there.

On Apr 22, 4:23 pm, "A." <adrian.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My problem is that like many people I bought computer which had XP
> *pre-installed* and so am without disks containing the language pack.
> At the MS website and after googling for an hour (seehttp://www.google.com/search?q=download++%22East+Asian+Language+pack%...
> I cannot find a link to a download of the East Asian language pack.
> This is an example of why MS is so loved, I think.
>
> Does anyone have any idea if it is possible for me to get the language
> pack without using a torrent? In my search, I see that some people
> talk about having to use not only their orginal Windows CDs but also
> an SP2 cd! Again, I do not have any XP cd's. I've written to HiPiHi
> support with this issue as well, who knows if anyone would have any
> idea, but it may be good to make them aware of their Overseas Users'
> difficulties.
>
> If you have your Windows CD's, there is a useful walk-through athttp://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs/AsianStudiesDept/Language/...

A.

Apr 23, 2008, 3:55:02 PM4/23/08
to Hipihi
Sue, we're doing multiple conversations on a few sites, but that's
okay, as it may help others as well who run into similar problems...

I may have to order the SP2 cd to get part of what I need. 4-6 weeks
and a shipping fee from Everybody Loves Microsoft.

"Have you checked to make sure you don't already have support for East
Asian characters installed?
Some system that have Windows installed have a partition, sometimes a
bit obscured, looking like a separate drive. Possibly the needed
file are in there.
I recommend trying to look at some chinese language web sites , like
hipihi.com, novoking.com, uworld3d.com, and, the qq.com site in
Internet Explorer.
Then go to control panel region and locale and see what you've got.
I don't have a Windows CD and I"m pretty sure that I had support for
East Asian lanaguages already installed on both computers."

Have checked as well as I can in C, D, & E drives.
In IE when I go to Chinese sites I get: [¹«¸æ]µÚ¶þÅúÍÁµØÕ÷¼¯½áÊø套系:小型家庭
办公
壁挂简约小书架 , like that. And no box offering me a language pack,
unfortunately.
Then, when I check the box for Install files for East Asian languages
under the Language tab of Regional and Language Options, it does ask
for my "Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM" to be inserted. Then the
dialog box says: "You can also click OK if you want the files to be
copied from an alternate location, such as a floppy disk (!) or a
network server.", but when I click OK, it asks me to browse to a
location. Perhaps your computer was on a network which downloaded the
Language Pack for you?

The make of my computer is an obscure company from Germany (Medion)
which was selling through Costco a five years ago...unfortunately for
me now, because I can't easily write them to get the Pack on CD.

I used someone else's XP CD, I wonder if it would it just cause
problems with authenticating, etc. (Wouldn't want to "brick" my box)
But I may try that.

the first link -- I have XP, not Win 2000 or the others, and I have
Word 2002, not Office XP, so no go.

the 2nd link -- "Microsoft Global IME 5.02 is for users who are
running Windows Me,Windows 98, Windows 95, or Windows NT
4.0..." (same problem, not for XP)

-- thanks though for the suggestions. As you alluded to, the Global
Input Method Editor is not exactly what I need, but it might have been
a start.

wow this is a lot of work. I hope it ends up benefiting other
"Overseas Users" of HiPiHi.

btw, I'm unable to get a feed from your blog in my GReader.