Works great with Samsung Galaxy S7 and Plantronics Backbeat Fit. But is it compatible with Google Assistant too?

Kristopher MacMillan

Mar 9, 2017, 11:58:03 PM3/9/17
to Hint2Search beta testers
I'm glad to report that this app works great with my Samsung Galaxy S7 (running Android 7.0 Nougat) and Plantronics Backbeat Fit headset. But is it compatible with Google Assistant too? At the moment it activates Google Voice Search which is great but now that Google Assistant is available on other phones (other than the Pixel) are there any plans to make an option to choose Google Assistant for voice searches instead of Google Voice Search? I guess this is more of a feature request. On my Galaxy S7 I can activate the Google Assistant with a long press of the home button (before the phone was updated with Google Assistant this previously activated Google Now On Tap).

DYNA Logix

Mar 10, 2017, 4:25:44 AM3/10/17
to Hint2Search beta testers
Good question!

I just received the Assistant update on my phone this morning, I've been looking around. The command supposed to be:

Intent launchIntent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW);
launchIntent.setPackage("com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox");
launchIntent.setClassName("com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox", "com.google.android.apps.gsa.staticplugins.opa.OpaActivity");
startActivity(launchIntent);

But it throws a Permission Denial: starting Intent { act=android.intent.action.VIEW pkg=com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox...
exception. So at this point it's not possible (at least not without root).

I am still looking though, but it seems Google doesn't want us to do this. Besides I am afraid Assistant would not route bluetooth audio anyway.

Aymeric Fassier

Dec 26, 2017, 5:14:56 AM12/26/17
to Hint2Search beta testers
I use your app with à Galaxy S7 too and it works perfectly. But if Hint2search can launch Google assistant, it would be Amazing.
Google piblished a new app to launch Google assistant and WE can launch assistant with à bluetooth headset using "bluetooth launch".
The commande is "com.google.android.apps.googleassistant.AssistantActivity".
If this way IS good, can you add Google assistant ?

DYNA Logix

Dec 26, 2017, 12:51:11 PM12/26/17
to Hint2Search beta testers
Thank you for the tip! I will try and publish a new beta version.