Bluetooth button works only once

Greg Yang

Dec 5, 2014, 12:42:03 AM12/5/14
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
If I press the bluetooth button, hint2search will launch google now correctly, but this will no longer work subsequently: the bluetooth button stops doing anything. This is only reset when I turn bluetooth off and back on.
I have a samsung galaxy note 2 running kitkat cyanogenmod M11.

DYNA Logix

Dec 5, 2014, 4:39:54 AM12/5/14
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
 Has the previous version worked better? Are you using the option "fight for mic"? BTW it's a good idea, maybe I can try to implement that if all fails, just automatically toggle bluetooth to regain control.

Greg Yang

Dec 5, 2014, 7:22:58 AM12/5/14
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
I just tried with fight for mic and it works now!

Another question: is there a way to invoke Google now with the Bluetooth button without having to unlock the phone? I had an iPhone before and siri works like that.

DYNA Logix

Dec 5, 2014, 7:06:10 PM12/5/14
It should work with the (non-secure) keyguard. Just keep the corresponding option enabled. It doesn't designed to work with any security locks though.

Greg Yang

Dec 5, 2014, 7:21:22 PM12/5/14
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean "keyguard?" I tried all kinds of lockscreens and none of them work.

Greg Yang

Dec 6, 2014, 1:07:44 AM12/6/14
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
Another thing. With both Jaybird bluebuds X and LG HBS700:
1) if I disable the bluetooth headset setting in google now, then:
when I launch google now with the bluetooth button, the phone mic rather than the headset mic is used. If I leave my phone in another room when I call google now then it can't hear anything.
2) if I enable the bluetooth headset setting in google now, then:
google now cannot hear me at all. It's not getting a feed through the bluetooth headset. It also acts weird in other ways. This happens whether hint2search is on or not.

Greg Yang

Dec 6, 2014, 1:37:50 AM12/6/14
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
I just tried again with Jaybird Freedom Sprint, and still no go.
With this bluetooth mic test app,
I'm not getting any audio, so it seems like my phone just can't read from bluetooth mic?

Greg Yang

Dec 6, 2014, 1:48:05 AM12/6/14
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
ugh seems like this is a longstanding bug.

This is pretty disappointing. This works perfectly on my iphone 4s with siri.

DYNA Logix

Dec 6, 2014, 2:23:52 AM12/6/14
(I had to update my reply: I remembered incorrectly that you were using a Nexus 5)

I am sorry for such a bad experience.

You can always try a different ROM, I have not BT problems with the stock software on my Note3, hopefully there are better implementations for the Note2 too.
Of course I don't know your use-case and what feature might be imperative for you that is only present in CM.

As for Hint2Search, it feels to me that the issue is beyond the capabilities of my app. If all fails, and H2S turns out to be unusable for you you are welcome to send me your order number, and at least I can give you a refund.

Greg Yang

Dec 6, 2014, 12:13:45 PM12/6/14
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
Yea I would like a refund for now. If in the future I flash a different ROM, I'll buy it again.
Regardless of problems on my end, your app is great. Good luck and keep at it!
I've sent my order number

Everett Bailey

Oct 2, 2015, 3:56:24 PM10/2/15
to Hint2Search beta testers
Thought I'd chime in here. I'm also using a Note 2. I'm running the OrionLP Lollipop rom which has some cyanogenmod elements in it along with Slim and AOSP. Anyway, I had the exact same issue described here. Pressing the BT call button launched Google Now but it would listen to neither the handset mic OR the BT mic. With Hint2Search it still won't listen to the BT mic but it DOES at least listen to the handset mic, even with "Fight for mic" option on. Anyway, it's not perfect but it'll work for me. I'll just have to leave my phone out in the open while driving so that it can hear me. It's still totally hands-free and that's the most important thing.
It seems many custom roms purposely omit the old voice dialer since it didn't work that well anyway. I would be curious though if that would listen to the BT mic. Maybe Google Now is expecting the voice dialer to handle the BT request but it's missing? i might try to put back the Google voice dialer just to see. Still, the way I have it working now is probably the best solution as Google Now's voice recognition is much better.