Working beautifully

Jason Ekern

May 14, 2015, 11:18:12 AM5/14/15
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
Wanted to let the Devs know that this is working beautifully with my Plantronics Discover 975 earpiece paired to my LG G3 running CloudyG3 2.2 ROM.  THANK YOU for providing a replacement for Bluetooth Launch that actually works with Lollipop!  With "Trusted Device" settings, this works awesome.

DYNA Logix

May 14, 2015, 12:18:54 PM5/14/15
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sharing this. Good to look forward to something for the many G3 users on certain versions of the stock LG ROM, which unfortunately locks it down for them.

Matt Kellner

May 18, 2015, 1:46:34 PM5/18/15
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
DYNA: I just wanted to mention that this app works just fine for me on an LG G3 VS985, non-rooted, with Lollipop 5.0.1, Verizon as carrier.  I had already experimented with Bluetooth Launch and had it not work, but this did.  My headset is a Sena motorcycle helmet headset.

Here are the steps I went through to get things working:
  • Force-Stop and Disable "Voice Command"
  • Installed and ran "Hint2Search"
  • Was given the option to disable "Voice Command" in the app.  This took me to "LG VoiceCommand Speech Pack".  Force-stopped/disabled.
  • Set "Protect in pocket" option.  Left "Fight for mic" and "Vibrate to prompt" off.
  • Settings >> Security >> Trust Agents >> Turn Smart Lock on
  • Settings >> Lock Screen >> Smart Lock >> Trusted Devices >> Bluetooth >> (added my Sena headset to the list)
  • With screen on, pressed the BT button on my headset, then selected "Hint2Search" and set as default app.
  • With screen off, phone in pocket, pressed BT button on headset, heard the prompt, was able to perform searches and make calls via Google Search. :)

A couple of notes: Because I use the pattern lock on my phone, without Smart Lock, I could get the Google Search prompt and its response to my commands, but if I was trying to make a call, the app would wait until I manually unlocked the screen before it would actually make the call.  This obviously doesn't work on a motorcycle.  The Smart Lock feature took care of this.  Also, I will occasionally hear the Google prompt twice when pressing the button once.  The double-prompt is always rapid, so I can consistently just wait a second after hearing the prompt before talking and still have it work.

So, consider my $1.50 well-earned. :)

DYNA Logix

May 19, 2015, 5:32:15 PM5/19/15
to hint2search-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the detailed instructions, I am sure it will be of help to fellow G3 users.  I will keep it in mind to point anyone here who has trouble setting up their phones.  As I understand there are some G3 variants where the Voice Command app cannot be disabled, though the 5.0.1 update might have brought a welcome change in this.