Fwd: [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikipedia India Education Program Updates

Mitul Patel

Sep 27, 2011, 2:13:31 PM9/27/11
to hindi_w...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nitika <nta...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:39 AM
Subject: [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikipedia India Education Program Updates
To: Wikimedia India Community list <wikimedi...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share few updates regarding Wikipedia India Education Program.

1. We conducted over 11 sessions in different classes to address the issue of copyright violations to make sure that students understand the gravity of this issue. We visited each class and spoke with the students that they simply cannot copy-paste on wikipedia and have also been warned about the consequences of doing so. One of the important learning from this is that going forward we need to include the issue of copyvio in in-class editing sessions. In the next semester, we shall take all precautionary steps and make sure that the students have been taught in detail about copyvios so that we face less problems like this going forward.

2. We conducted an open wikipedia day at the SSE where we were available on campus the whole day and students could reach out to us for any fundamental or technical wiki editing problems that they would have - more like a help desk throughout the day. Unfortunately, it didn't work as well as we had expected it to as not too many students came by with their problems. We'll have to think of more innovate ways of conducting such open days - any ideas/suggestions are more than welcome.

3. We now have a bigger and stronger army of Campus Ambassadors & Online Ambassadors to support the students enrolled in the India Educational Program. 17 more Campus Ambassadors and 26 new Online Ambassadors are now onboard and will be helping students write better articles. I'll be sharing an update on this shortly.

4. The so famous Robinson Crusoe Economy Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Crusoe_Economy written by one of the students User:Abhilasha369: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Abhilasha369 is now a 'Good Article' on Wikipedia. This is an achievement for the program!!! I believe that this is just the beginning and we'll hopefully see many more GAs and FAs emerging out of the program.

5.  You can check out some of the other well written articles by the students:
You can track the progress of the program via the India Education Program Page (WP:INDIAEDU) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:INDIAEDU. Please feel free to write on students' talk pages and guide them how to further improve their articles.  Please don't forget to leave words of praise on Campus Ambassador's talk page as well - they all have been doing a great great job!

Thanks
Nitika