Translation request

James Hunter

Jul 18, 2012, 4:53:57 PM7/18/12
to hi...@googlegroups.com
I've been looking to translate the follow phrase, which is an extract from a song, with a literary meaning for a piece of body art I'm planning.

English: "A lifetime is so short, a new one can’t be bought, but what you've got means such a lot to me…"

Would anybody be able to confirm that the translation below is indeed a kosher translation of the above?

"जीवन तो लंबा नहीं, नया मोल से मिलता नहीं, पर जो तेरे पास है वह मेरे लिए कुछ खास है…"

Thank you very much!

James

विनय | Vinay

Jul 18, 2012, 5:03:30 PM7/18/12
to hi...@googlegroups.com
I think the second part of your translation can stay as is. The first one may cause problems due to construction. Here's how I would say:

जीवन कितना छोटा है, मोल नहीं ये मिलता है
पर जो तेरे पास है,  मेरे लिए कुछ ख़ास है

Vinay

James Hunter

Jul 18, 2012, 6:11:10 PM7/18/12
to hi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the translation Vinay, though the original translator did say that they "made it rhyme" for me. How sure are you on the accuracy of your translation versus the other, and the accuracy of the original, as in, what exactly was the flaw in the construction?

Solomon Sunder

Jun 21, 2014, 6:16:48 AM6/21/14
to hi...@googlegroups.com
जीवन तो लंबा नहीं translates to 'Life is not long'

Raman

Jun 21, 2014, 5:09:17 PM6/21/14
to hi...@googlegroups.com
James,

I vouch for the accuracy of Vinay's translation. I may have been the person who gave you the original translation. The original provides the same intent but sacrifices literal accuracy, but Vinay's provides literal accuracy as well as intent.