Hill Country Kids & Family Tri Race week instructions

Kathy Rainey

Jul 12, 2015, 8:39:10 PM7/12/15
to Kathy Rainey

Hello Racers,

Super excited!  Hill Country Kids & Family Tri is this Saturday, July 18th, 2015.

Course Maps: http://www.hillcountrykidstri.org/course-maps.html

Course Info:  http://www.hillcountrykidstri.org/race-info.html

USAT Official will be present.  See below website for link to youth rules (pages 34-36).  South Midwest Youth Tri Series Participants: Don't get disqualified for not knowing the rules.  No aero helmets or disc wheels.   http://content.yudu.com/A27lnd/USAT13YouthGuide/resources/index.htm

Race Week Info:

Packet Pickup -  Required by USAT to show photo ID and proof of USAT membership (you may show proof of annual membership on your smart phone using the USAT app).  Adults can only pick up their OWN packets and their own children's packets.  Adults may NOT pick up their spouse or friend's packets.  This is USAT's rule due to liability insurance reasons.  If you paid for a one day or annual membership through online registration, you are set.  If you need to pay for a one day membership, you may do so at packet pickup.  Payment by cash or check.  You may NOT purchase a year membership at packet pickup.  You MUST go on line to www.usatriathlon.org and purchase a year long membership and bring proof.  USAT one day or year long membership is required for all adult and youth racers because we are a USAT certified race.   One day memberships are $10 for youth, $12 for adults on site.  Year long memberships through www.usatriathlon.org are $15 for youth and $45 for adults.

1st Packet Pickup is Wednesday, July 15th from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm.  Location: 1379 Family Sports Shop; 2727 Exposition Blvd, #121, Austin, TX near Starbucks. 512 474-1379

2nd Packet Pickup on Friday, July 18th from 3:00 to 7:00 pm.  Location: Seton Medical Center Hays; 6001 Kyle Parkway; Kyle TX 78640; 512-504-5000.    On the east side of 35 at the exit for 1626 in KYLE.    Enter the MAIN entrance for the hospital.  Follow the signs from the info desk.

Packet Content:
1) Pink swim cap - all racers required to wear.
2) Race bib & safety pins.
3) Race number stickers.  One on front of helmet.  One goes on bike cross bar.
4) Tattoo race number - apply vertically to SIDE of LEFT upper arm and LEFT lower leg.  We will mark age with sharpie on race morning.
5) Sponsor Give a Ways: Clif Kids products, Climb On! skin lotion (awesome - moms steal it from your kids;)...
6) Race t-shirt.  Tri-blend:)  !  If you registered prior to the June 30th t-shirt guarantee date stated on our website and Active, you will get the right size.  If you are one of the 75+ who registered in the week before race closing, we did our best and came very close.  After the race, I will have any extras in a backpack on my back.  You are welcome to ask for an exchange at that point.

Bike and Helmet Safety & Fit Checks:  CHECK YOUR BIKE HANDLEBARS!  They must have endplugs in order to race.  ALL BIKES!  If you do not know what this means, then you are one of the people that should be going to bike safety checks.  See below.

1) Option 1: Go to your local bike shop and have them check your bike and helmet for proper fit and safety.  Have them put their bike shop sticker on the bike or bring a receipt.

2) Option 2: Bring your bikes to our Race Overview /Kids Clinic at the race site McNaughton Pool entrance at 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm on Friday night.  Mechanics from Arrowhead Sports will be there for checks.

3) Option 3: Go to Arrowhead Bike shop (1/2 mile south from Hays High school on 2770), Bicycle Sports Shop on South Lamar or Jack & Adams.

4) EXPERIENCED RACERS ONLY: You will be waved through quickly on race morning because obviously your bike and helmet fit and are safe.

Bike Clinics / Race Overview: Friday night at 5:00 & 6:00 pm  outside McNaughton Pool at the race site.

Club members, Jeff and Eric, will review our swim course, transition, bike in and out, mount and dismount, and run course exit.  They will also demonstrate transition set up.  We highly recommend that you attend if your family is new to the sport.  If you are new to this race, not a bad idea to come on over and scope out the course and listen to the race review.  All racers should drive the course to scope it out.  Bike maintenace will be present.  We will have the course marked with arrows so you can drive or ride the course with your kids to review the loops and turns.  Additional signs and cones will be put out on race morning.

RACE DAY:

Volunteers line the course.  We are a very safe, closed course with plenty of volunteers in race t-shirts.

RACERS & SPECTATORS: Do NOT park  on the course or in front of mailboxes.  Be respectful of neighborhood lawns and gardens:)

1) Transition opens at 5:45 am.  Please Do not enter early. Only enter at the back of transition.  Your bike will be quickly checked for safety and fit (stickers waved on through).  One parent allowed in transition per racer for set up.  No parents allowed in transition during the race.  We have voluneers who will help your child in transition with the bike etc.  Body marking for age as you enter.

2) RACK all bikes by the SEAT.  If you rack by the handlebars we will re-rack.  (After the bike portion of the race, you may rack by the handlebars but we may re-rack.)  We suggest that you practice racking the bike by the seat with the child on race morning.  Works really well to back the bike in under the bar by the seat.  Rack according to age groupings designated on racks.  We have custom racks that are sized appropriately even for the little bikes.  I realize that some teams practice racking by the handlebars.  I am sorry but we have this rule for our race to make transition work.  Racers must rack their own bikes.  We will help but racers should not just hand their bikes to a transition helper to be racked.   Part of triathlon is racking your own bike.

3) Start racking at the fence and work towards the aisle.  Bikes alternating sides of the rack.   If you follow this plan, this will help ensure that bikes do not get moved by transition volunteers.

4) Towel size for transition: 2' long by 1' wide max.  Fold your towel to the appropriate size.  If you take up too much space, volunteers will consolidate.  Towels go to the side of the front wheel.

5) Exit Transition at front by road: Pick up chip timer and get body marked for age if you have not done so.

6) Transition closes at 6:45 am

Blue Sky Running Warm Ups for Kids 6:15 - 6:45 am in front of the pool.

Pre-Race Meeting & National Anthem: 6:45 - 7:00 am in pool.  We will line up all Child waves on pool deck for meeting.

Race start: 7:00 am
We are only requiring that the next swim wave be on the deck.  So when 5-6 year olds are racing, 7-8 year olds should be lined up on the race deck by number etc.  All other waves may go out on course and cheer racers on.  We HIGHLY recommend that kids stay close to the pool.  You are responsible for knowing where we are in the race and ensuring that your child does not miss his/her race.  We will not hold the wave start when we are ready if kids are missing.

Waves:
5-6
7-8 - starts when 5-6 off bike course
9-10 - starts when 7-8 off bike course
11-12 - starts when 9-10 off bike course
13-15 - starts a few minutes after the 11-12 are out of the pool
Adults - starts when all kids are off bike course.

Lifeguards & Flip Turns & Lane Ropes:  We have a unique lane rope system that does not allow swimmers to hold on to the ropes because they will not support a swimmers weight.  This creates a swim that is more similar to an open water event.  Lifeguards are on deck.  Swimmers must touch the wall at the end of each length.  They may do flip turns.  There is no lane rope to swim under at the end of each lane.

Bathrooms are in the pool area.

Exit the pool at the rear and front on the right side.   Spectators please stay on right side of pool.

Only child racers on the left hand side of the pool.  Adults who are racing please stay on the right side until your wave.

Bike Course - Important info

1) Every child is responsible for knowing his or her loop count. Go to www.hillcountrykidstri.org for course maps illustrating course and loops.

2) This year we will start funneling kids into the correct lane for 2nd and 3rd loops versus the finish earlier for safety.  We will have the course marked with tape on Thursday night so that you can ride or drive the course on Friday to visualize the loops.   We will add cones race morning.   Essentially, we will have lanes marked on the Steiner loop prior to turning left on to Witte.  By the time they go down the hill on Witte they should already be in the correct lane.   We will review this at Packet Pickup and the course overview on Friday from 5:00 to 7:00 pm.

2) We will have one adult cyclist on the bike course for safety and SAG.  This cyclist will be wearing a green safety vest.  This cyclist will not be allowed to provide information or lead the cyclists except for the 5-6 age category..

Run Course: Know your loop count!

Water/Gatorade: run exit, run turn around, finish, and hospitality.

First Aid and Injury Ice at the Finisher Line in front of pool.  First Aid will also be on the bike course.

Finish: between 10:30 and 11:00 am

Hospitality Area: Free Dominoes pizza, Clif products, fruit, Shaved Ice, water/gatorade.  Free face painting and water slide.  Parents allow your kids to use the slide at their own risk.  Enjoy!!  Great post race atmosphere for the whole family.  Spectators may purchase shaved ice and kettle corn.  Racers you will need your bib for shaved ice/pizza.

Awards: between 11:00 and 12:00 (hopefully closer to 11:00 am)

Transition Opens when last adult cyclist is off the bike course. Make sure that spectators who need to leave early park on a side street but NOT ON THE COURSE.  This does not mean racers.  Transition and parking lots do not open until the last cyclist is off the course.

Awards:
1) By age category and gender for kids.
2) Team awards by kids age paired with adult.
3) Overall Male and Female Finisher (Will a child beat out the adults?;)
3) Final Finishers Adult male and female.
4) Fun awards given out while waiting for adult race to finish: Best team name, best smile, best sportsmanship, best racing attire.....

Results: Posted near announcer table / finish line.  Posted online through our website and www.cadencesports.com.

Photos: www.hillcountrykidstri.org after the race.

Quick Race Day Check List:

1) swim cap
2) goggles
3) towels 1' by 2' for transition mat (may fold over)
4) running shoes
5) socks
6) race number safety pinned to shirt or on race belt
7) shirt (not required to wear)
8) helmet
9) water bottle on bike if possible
10) check tire pressure
11) tattoo race numbers on side of left upper arm and left lower leg.   Place vertically.

Not required but you may want:
1) Sunscreen
2) sunglasses
3) hat
4) nutrition

The South Midwest Youth Triathlon Series:

The series consists of independently-produced, owned and operated, youth course triathlons referred to as "stages". All stages are located in the South Midwest Region of USA Triathlon, which includes Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Texas.

Points will be awarded to Eligible Athletes finishing in 1st through 10th place in the male and female, in their respective age categories, 7-8, 9-10. 11-12, 13-15 divisions of each stage.

The Hill Country Kids & Family Tri is the second to last stage in South Midwest Youth Triathlon Series.

Parents: One small race director piece of advice.  Cheer your kid on!  That is all they need:)  We will help them in transition and on the course.

Thank you to our sponsors.  Please check them out!  I have provided links to the local or small companies that I would love for you to support!  I particularly love Biondi Upcycle Brand - an awesome female owned company that I came across in Idaho this summer.  Awesome gift ideas using bike parts for your favorite cyclist or triathlete.  Seton, Texas Lehigh Cement, Plum Creek, Blue Computer SolutionsArrowhead BicyclesBiondi Upcycle Brand, High Five Events, Blue Sky Running, Domino's, Buda Health CenterCorridor Primary Care, Clif, Climb On!, Bounce Across Texas, YMCA, Trigger Point, 1379 Family Sports Shop, LoneStar Kettle Corn.

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/hillcountrykidstri

FUNDRAISING from one of our athletes:

Thanks and looking forward to seeing you this week.  I have probably forgotten something but hopefully not.  Please forgive small errors.  I am happy to answer questions via email or at packet pickup.

Kathy Rainey
RaineRaces