One pool per DB vs many from performance point of view

No Thing

Aug 19, 2022, 5:43:19 AM8/19/22
to HikariCP
We are using HikariCP in our work project. Now there are sometimes problem with spikes of need for connection from JobScheduler component and the main app can't get any. Is it better to create another HikariCP for same database or just limit the JobScheduler component jobs so that the main app can get connections also? I appreciate if you can clarify this.
The question in nutshell is there any sense to have many connection pools per one database?
How does it help or does it help anyway?
Most importantly how this looks from performance point of view?

Brett Wooldridge

Oct 8, 2022, 1:51:16 PM10/8/22
to HikariCP
Sorry for the late delay. In general, the overhead (cost) of a pool is very low. So, if you want to guarantee availability to your JobScheduler, it may make sense to have a dedicated pool. Having said that, it may also make sense to constrain the number of JobScheduler threads to match the size of the pool.

-Brett