An Update on the temporary shelter at the Melnea Cass Recreation Center temporary shelter in Roxbury

Rodney Singleton

Feb 1, 2024, 10:26:43 AMFeb 1
to Highland Park Neighborhood Watch, Highlandparkboston, Boston District7 Advisory Council, Miranda Liz (SEN), Rep. Chynah Tyler, John Moran, Tania Anderson, erin....@boston.gov, Ed Flynn, ruthzee....@boston.gov, Julia Mejia, sharon...@boston.gov, enriqu...@boston.gov, henry....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, constituen...@massmail.state.ma.us, Maura Healey
FYI from State Representative Chynah Tyler

Feb 2, 2024, 5:45:01 PMFeb 2
to Evan Smith, Rodney Singleton, Highland Park Neighborhood Watch, Highlandparkboston, Boston District7 Advisory Council, Miranda Liz (SEN), Tania Anderson, erin....@boston.gov, ruthzee....@boston.gov, sharon...@boston.gov, enriqu...@boston.gov, henry....@boston.gov
I stopped in at the Refugee and Immigrant Assistance Center on Roxbury Street this afternoon, to ask what, if any role they are playing in supporting those now housed at the Melnea Cass Recreation Center.

They confirmed that they are waiting to hear from the other immigrant assistance organizations how they can be of service. RIAC promised to keep HPNC apprised of any communication they receive of how best individuals from Highland Park can be involved.

I’ll pass along any information/suggestions I hear as soon as I hear back from the RIAC. Not suggesting this is the only way folks can respond, but it might be one way.

Kate

On Friday, February 2, 2024, 5:13 PM, Evan Smith <hemingw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Good evening all,

I’m wondering if there has been any information shared about how neighbors can assist at the shelter? I’d like to get my family involved, as there are clearly needs. And I know other neighbors have been wondering the same.

Thanks!

Evan

Evan Smith

48 Lambert Ave #3
Roxbury, MA 02119

hemingw...@gmail.com

Mark Martinez

Feb 4, 2024, 12:42:45 PMFeb 4
to Ann Chinchilla DeGeorge, Rodney Singleton, Highland Park Neighborhood Watch, Highlandparkboston, Boston District7 Advisory Council, Miranda Liz (SEN), Rep. Chynah Tyler, John Moran, Tania Anderson, erin....@boston.gov, Ed Flynn, ruthzee....@boston.gov, Julia Mejia, sharon...@boston.gov, enriqu...@boston.gov, henry....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, constituen...@massmail.state.ma.us, Maura Healey, Leah Daniels, RACHAEL (RUSS) Splaine Rollins Auntie RARA
Hi Ann,

Not an elected, and can't answer all your questions but want to provide some insight into one of your questions regarding why the man in the video was not welcomed inside. The site opened up at the Cass is an overflow site for people on the waitlist for the Emergency Assistance (EA) Shelter Program. The EA Program is explicitly for families experiencing homelessness so anyone in the Cass site will be a family deemed eligible for EA Shelter but that the state does not yet have a shelter placement for. More info about who is eligible for this program can be found here: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-ea-emergency-family-shelter Applying for the EA program is no determined on site, more info about how people can be connected to resources and determine eligibility can be found here: https://www.mass.gov/news/healey-driscoll-administration-announces-expansion-of-services-and-shelter-for-families-experiencing-homelessness

The individual shelter system is a separate system often not run by the State. Now it is always frustrating when different levels of government seem to not be cooperating, and I think that's a thing that can certainly be improved and that could have possible connected the man in the video to the correct resource, but unfortunately, if he is a single person experiencing homelessness, regardless of whether he was born here or immigrated here, the services being run at the Cass would not be the place for him.

Appreciate your concerns for our neighbors and hope these clears up some things.

Best,
Mark

On Sun, Feb 4, 2024 at 11:55 AM Ann Chinchilla DeGeorge <ann.c.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for sharing Rodney.

The following email is for all of our elected officials:

Although I don't understand why we weren't given more time before it happened, nor why a better suited space wasn't secured for these families like the Shattuck, this only made any sense to me if ALL Bostonians can participate. Which essentially means ALL OF THE UNHOUSED PEOPLE IN BOSTON will now be in our neighborhood.

Nonetheless when I heard it is open to ALL, I was less frustrated that it took humiliating the governor to suddenly find the means and space to provide services to EVERYONE in Boston (and anywhere else who hears about it throughout Massachusetts and beyond that will now be absorbed into our strained community) but at least it's for everyone and not a select few to skip the line while others have been waiting for years for services.

But then, I immediately received the following video (on "X") showing otherwise - this man wasn't asked a single question and even offered information that should have welcomed him inside. How do you explain this?

I also do not trust this will end on May 31st, nor do I believe this was a placement out of concern for the comfort of these families. There were just too many other options throughout the state that would not have displaced our kids and community programming. Have you even found new space for the kids AND programs yet?

In addition, we need to understand the full process of how people are admitted to this space. We need to see:

1) the process in writing for what is happening with everyone who arrives

2) what happens when it exceeds 400

3) and what protections the women and children (and everyone for that matter) are getting in the shared room of this open space while sleeping next to strangers

4) who will be our direct contact at both the City snd State level for our residents to address any issues that may arise - having a log of issues is critical

I look forward to your response.

A compassionate and concerned homeowner,
Ann Chinchilla DeGeorge
Linwood St
Roxbury