Bill H.4065: Strengthening unchecked power!!!

Rodney Singleton

Jan 22, 2024, 1:39:56 PMJan 22
to Collins, Nick (SEN), Brianna Millor, Councilor TFA, Alison Frazee, Professor James Jennings, Lori Nelson, Devin Quirk, Joseph Backer, John Dalzell, Frank Baker Boston City Councilor, Holmes, Russell -Rep (HOU), Julia Mejia, brian....@boston.gov, christoph...@boston.gov, Poston, Liana (HOU), Rep. Chynah Tyler, Priscilla Bok, gabriela...@boston.gov, aimee.c...@boston.gov, erin....@boston.gov, akilah....@globe.com, Yawu Miller, Boston District7 Advisory Council, tiana....@globe.com, james....@boston.gov, let...@globe.com, Blackstonian Blackstonian, Leung, Shirley, ne...@bannerpub.com, segun...@boston.gov, Jule Pattison-Gordon, AugustineMonica Investigative, Ed Flynn, senatorl...@gmail.com, julio....@boston.gov, michael.c...@boston.gov, ruthzee....@boston.gov, michael....@boston.gov, Moran, John - Rep. (HOU), Worrell, Christopher - Rep. (HOU), liz.b...@boston.gov, urbanrenewal, teresa....@boston.gov, Tanisha Sullivan, WBUR News, Mariama White-Hammond, Mariangely Solis Cervera, wgbh...@wgbh.org, Michelle Wu, lacey...@boston.gov, let...@globe.com, Miranda Liz (SEN)
Senator Collins,

Passing H.4065 only strengthens unchecked power, so I urge you and your colleagues to reject this bill.

Almost 100 years ago my family fled the Jim Crow south, to Boston for a better life. We settled in Roxbury.

 I was born in 1961 at 21 Munroe Street, Roxbury The Boardman is where I attended elementary school (pics circa 1930-1935):

image.png

John H. Battiste was my great Uncle. His mother Charlotte is the second picture from the left below. My grandfather, Severlin Singleton, is shown to the right of his mom. To the right of Sev is my grandmother Winifred, who owned our home on Munroe Street in Roxbury in the early 60s.

All the way to the left, my great, great mother Louisa Battiste, who was born to slavery in 1838. My great, great grandmother was owned by Joseph Glover, for whom she bore 5 children. One of those children was my great grandmother Charlotte Battiste .

image.png

I start with this to help you appreciate one family's struggle.

The places of my youth are all gone now. And I bear witness to the devastating impact unchecked power has on a community!

Unchecked power leveled my childhood home, upending the idea that Black folks could build wealth too. The motivation was blight --not true. But unchecked power doesn't really need a reason, right?!

Unchecked power leveled my school, where vacant land still exists to this day.

Unchecked power cleared the way for a highway that should have never been planned in the first place. But it was a community speaking truth to power that stopped the highway and left more vacant land in our community.

Passage of H.4065 seeks to strengthen unchecked power, with no community voice. Why?!

Unchecked power serves the very few, at the expense of the struggling masses looking for a better life.

Please reject passage of H.4065. Also know that the vast majority of Boston D7 Advisory board members reject passage of this bill.

Thank you.

Rodney Singleton
44 Cedar Street
Roxbury MA, 02119

GaoYuan Chang

Jan 22, 2024, 2:06:56 PMJan 22
to highlandp...@googlegroups.com, Alison Frazee, AugustineMonica Investigative, Blackstonian Blackstonian, Boston District7 Advisory Council, Brianna Millor, Collins, Nick (SEN), Councilor TFA, Devin Quirk, Ed Flynn, Frank Baker Boston City Councilor, Holmes, Russell -Rep (HOU), John Dalzell, Joseph Backer, Jule Pattison-Gordon, Julia Mejia, Leung, Shirley, Lori Nelson, Mariama White-Hammond, Mariangely Solis Cervera, Michelle Wu, Miranda Liz (SEN), Moran, John - Rep. (HOU), Poston, Liana (HOU), Priscilla Bok, Professor James Jennings, Rep. Chynah Tyler, Tanisha Sullivan, WBUR News, Worrell, Christopher - Rep. (HOU), Yawu Miller, aimee.c...@boston.gov, akilah....@globe.com, brian....@boston.gov, christoph...@boston.gov, erin....@boston.gov, gabriela...@boston.gov, james....@boston.gov, julio....@boston.gov, lacey...@boston.gov, let...@globe.com, let...@globe.com, liz.b...@boston.gov, michael.c...@boston.gov, michael....@boston.gov, ne...@bannerpub.com, ruthzee....@boston.gov, segun...@boston.gov, senatorl...@gmail.com, teresa....@boston.gov, tiana....@globe.com, urbanrenewal, wgbh...@wgbh.org
I think this a great bill. The mayor already has control over senior management and the board at the BPDA by appointing 4/5 board members.

At least we can hold the city accountable when something goes wrong vs. using the BDPA as an escape goat.

Joan Seamster

Jan 22, 2024, 5:55:13 PMJan 22
to highlandp...@googlegroups.com
Great letter, Rodney.