MagiQuest Wand Hack

已查看 6,632 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Michael P. Flaga

未读,
2012年6月8日 19:34:242012/6/8
收件人 high-impeda...@googlegroups.com

I have my son’s MagiQuest wand and wanted to create my own animated Kiosk’s. The wands are IR transmitters, that I believe send a Serial Number to IR receivers in animated Kiosk’s. Where the animated Kiosk’s can be puppets or video screens of pixies.

So I purchased one of each wavelength (850 to 980nm) of Photo Diodes along with one of each 36Khz to 57KHz IR Remote Receiver, which are typically 950nm.

Well a quick try of the rumor that it was 36KHz, appears to be correct. Where 38KHz (most TV remotes) does not work and 36.7 does.

The Oscilloscope show an almost repeatable wave form. Minus some noise at the start. Probably a design issue with the way the wand activates, from the ball bearing. Being a motion sensor. So now I can put the IR decoders output something.

But now I want to capture it in some form of data logger and difference them between my other sons wand. And then I should be able to parse out the serial number. And then connected an authenticated wand to my Garage Door.

Imagine saying “Open Sesame” and flick the wand, in front of a 4 and 9 year old. Or a voice chip in an stuffed animal.

Michael P. Flaga, mic...@flaga.net

Terence Conklin

未读,
2012年6月9日 23:47:032012/6/9
On 6/8/2012 7:34 PM, Michael P. Flaga wrote:
So I purchased one of each wavelength (850 to 980nm) of Photo Diodes along with one of each 36Khz to 57KHz IR Remote Receiver, which are typically 950nm.

How many discrete wavelengths are there?

Well a quick try of the rumor that it was 36KHz, appears to be correct. Where 38KHz (most TV remotes) does not work and 36.7 does.

Apologies in advance, I'm not up on this, but there was a recurrent issue in the Palm days because the Palm's IR wasn't entirely remote compatible.  A number of people fussed with it with varying success, there was a 'consumer IR' add-on and it was kinda hit or miss.  Curious - is 36Khz a digital 'standard' and consumer IR is 38Khz?

Terence Conklin	Conklin Systems is a consulting product developer,
Conklin Systems	specializing in R&D and challenging technical problems.
(517) 663-6418	http://www.conklinsystems.com
Makers of:	CS Fax	- Mobile Fax technology and
		CS Online  - Emulation, Telnet & Adv. Data Logging

Carl Raymond

未读,
2012年6月10日 15:36:482012/6/10
收件人 high-impeda...@googlegroups.com
You have the best equipped lab I know of, so I'm surprised you don't have a scope with a multichannel logic probe already! There are Arduino programs for decoding TV remotes, and something like that should be easy to modify (if that's even needed) to decode this.  The only wrinkle, as you mentioned before, is the possibility that it uses a one-time pad, like the car remote unlock fobs do.  But I would guess not, because seems like it would add a lot to the cost of the thing, and it's just a toy.

I'm no expert in this area, but I bet the format of the data it sends out is a standard preamble, followed by a unique identifier, followed by a checksum.  That could still add up to a lot of bits, and analyzing that with an Arduino receiver could be inconvenient.

Michael P. Flaga

未读,
2012年6月11日 09:13:472012/6/11
收件人 high-impeda...@googlegroups.com

I have a multi-channel oscilloscope, but I need deep memory. My lab is from 1990, nothing new since. The best scope I have is a behemoth HP analyzer, that I would program to scope the bus of 486’s and 68000 cores. But it was only 500 bytes deep.

I probably will grow an arduino data logger into an application for this.

I when done with that I will need add an IR led to my Doctor #11 Sonic Screw driver, with a Serial ID of my own.

Michael P. Flaga, mic...@flaga.net

Michael P. Flaga

未读,
2012年6月11日 14:02:442012/6/11
收件人 high-impeda...@googlegroups.com

Looks like about 15 different discrete wave lengths and 6 different modulations. Whereas it appears most of the demodulators are centered around 950-970nm.

425-2511-ND

RECEIVER IR REM CTRL 3V 36KHZ

1.08

425-1989-ND