RE: PSU circuit

Michael P. Flaga

Dec 6, 2013, 10:01:09 PM12/6/13
to Carl Raymond, High Impedance Air Gap

It basically oscillates between the two source supplies. Each half has a current sense resistor to voltage with is compared to the opposite side. And when the a side gets to be using more load than the other side it switches. Hence it oscillates between the two MOSFETs being on.

This will induce noise that will need to be dealt with. Expected.

But more so, not mentioned is that when one supply is pulled(off or died) it the one remaining side will slam off. And all the load will go through the OR’ing diode. Not so efficient. The article is labeled “…share load”, not redundancy.  Which could be accommodated by simply reversing the comparator inputs.

Yes, the LTC4415 is a single chip. As for it being restricted to 5V, the LTC4370 uses external MOSFETs that increase the range and load.

I would post a comment. But their web site won’t let me login with my EDN account.

Michael P. Flaga, mic...@flaga.net