Landing Issue #49 in master

Nathan Yergler

Mar 3, 2014, 10:29:29 PM3/3/14
to hierogly...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

This is just a quick heads up that I'm about to land the branch[1] for
issue #49[2] in master. Issue #49 changes the way that slides are
rendered in Hieroglyph, and lays the groundwork for supporting themes
that do more than just apply CSS or add HTML.

Up until this point the Slide Writer has emitted the HTML necessary "by
hand": every slide was assumed to start with an <article> tag, because
that's what the HTML+CSS I started with wanted. After this branch lands,
slides will use a new template fragment, cunningly named "slide.html".
"slide.html" is rendered with a limited context, and then inserted into
the body. You can see an example of slide.html for the existing theme[3].

I've written unit tests as I went, and manually tested this change with
several decks of my own. Jay has also done a little testing, and found a
bug, which I fixed. If you see any issues generating slides with the
development release of Hieroglyph after I land this, please let us know.

This work lays the ground work for supporting the new Google HTML+JS[4],
which is much more mobile friendly and capable than the initial version
I built on. I'll be tackling that next.

Thanks,

NRY

PS: Yes, this list is "hieroglyph-users", not "hieroglyph-dev", but my
anecdotal evidence is that most users are running the development
version, which means this message is relevant to everyone. Please
object if you don't care at all about technical details, and I'll
look at making an additional list.

[1] https://github.com/nyergler/hieroglyph/tree/issue-49-slide-template
[2] https://github.com/nyergler/hieroglyph/issues/49
[3] https://github.com/nyergler/hieroglyph/blob/issue-49-slide-template/src/hieroglyph/themes/slides/slide.html