Slide header at bottom of page?

Christopher Barker

Mar 11, 2014, 1:33:13 AM3/11/14
to hierogly...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I'm just trying out Hieroglyph for the first time. It seems to be just what I'm looking for -- a nice way to create slides that doesn't make me write HTML. And I need to keep fresh with RST and Sphinx anyway. Nice work.

But even with the first "getting started" example, I'm getting odd results -- the header for each new slide is near the bottom of the page, rather than the top -- and on top of the slide content.

Looks like a CSS glitch or something but I really don't know CSS, so here I am.

Anyone else have this problem?

(tried with the latest release version, and git master head)

Thanks for any ideas,
  -Chris

Nathan Yergler

Mar 11, 2014, 2:31:31 PM3/11/14
to Christopher Barker, hierogly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I suspect that if you look in your conf.py file, you'll see that
slide_theme is set to "slides". Something like:

slide_theme = 'slides'

That theme provide "section break" slides, which position the title
near the lower left of the slide. I used them in the original deck I
created using Hieroglyph to delineate sections of the talk. Is that
what you're seeing?

I suspect if you change the theme to 'single-level' you'll see
something closer to what you expect.

This isn't the first time this has come up; I've left an issue[1] open
as a reminder to myself that something should be done about it to
explain how the themes differ. I'm currently working on incorporating
the updated slide template/JS/CSS [2], which will help alleviate some
of this confusion: it has a richer set of CSS classes that can be
applied to slides to change the layouts, as needed. I suspect we'll
make the new, more flexible theme the default in Hieroglyph 0.7.

Let me know if that doesn't resolve the issue.

Cheers,

NRY

[1] https://github.com/nyergler/hieroglyph/issues/35
[2] https://github.com/nyergler/hieroglyph/issues/48

Christopher Barker

Mar 12, 2014, 12:53:49 AM3/12/14
to Nathan Yergler, hierogly...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Nathan Yergler <nat...@yergler.net> wrote:
I suspect that if you look in your conf.py file, you'll see that
slide_theme is set to "slides". Something like:

slide_theme = 'slides'

indeed it is -- that was the default with the auto-setup, and I didn't know what the other option was.

That theme provide "section break" slides, which position the title
near the lower left of the slide. I used them in the original deck I
created using Hieroglyph to delineate sections of the talk. Is that
what you're seeing?

yup, though I tried setting another level of header, and that was better, but didn't seem to put a title on the "regular" slides. But single-level is what I need now, so I'm using that.

The title ends up off the top of the page if I don't have the browser in full-screen mode, but that's OK.

This isn't the first time this has come up; I've left an issue[1] open
as a reminder to myself that something should be done about it to
explain how the themes differ.

Perhaps a change in the default would be good -- at this point, the default is "slides", but that doesn't work well with your tutorial example...

I'm currently working on incorporating
the updated slide template/JS/CSS [2], which will help alleviate some
of this confusion: it has a richer set of CSS classes that can be
applied to slides to change the layouts, as needed. I suspect we'll
make the new, more flexible theme the default in Hieroglyph 0.7.

I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks,
  - this seems to be working for teh project at hand.

(Python class, by the way)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, PhD

Python Language Consulting
  - Teaching
  - Scientific Software Development
  - Desktop GUI and Web Development
  - wxPython, numpy, scipy, Cython

Nathan Yergler

Mar 12, 2014, 2:09:08 PM3/12/14

Christopher Barker <pyth...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Nathan Yergler <nat...@yergler.net> wrote:
>
>> I suspect that if you look in your conf.py file, you'll see that
>> slide_theme is set to "slides". Something like:
>>
>> slide_theme = 'slides'
>>
>> indeed it is -- that was the default with the auto-setup, and I didn't
> know what the other option was.

That's great feedback to hear. My suspicion is that the quickstart
script shouldn't even ask which you want, since new users won't have
enough information to make the decision. Defaulting to a more general
theme is probably the way to go.

Glad to hear that Hieroglyph is working out for your project. Please let
me/us know if you run into any other hurdles.

Cheers,

NRY