Piecing together the hydroponics system

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 10, 2013, 10:21:19 PM6/10/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Message from Aleks. He included a hand-drawn sketch, but that was not entirely accurate. Working on an corrected version of that.

Hi Angelo,

please see the attached hand sketch. I think that is what we had in mind before we figured that the valve we got from HD would not work.

Also, there are 3 other pictures so you can see what was left at the shop.
We have the "T" and the end caps. I think we only got one set of fittings for the drain. Maybe there's another but the barb size is probably not right for the pump hose.
The green basket was to be inserted inside the "T" and toward the drain.

Recently I talked to the guy 'in the know' on the plastic materials and adhesives/sealants (from Industrial Plastics) and he said that the drain pipes we use could not be bonded (sealed) with any type of sealant or adhesive. For a little while some sealants may hold, but eventually it would give. The stuff is made of very low grade (virgin) polyethylene because the drain pipes are not meant to be sealed or anything (hence the type of corrugated fittings, perforations, etc.) He said the only way to seal the ends is a mechanical pressure fitting like a rubber gasket and a clamp. That may be our challenge. We could try the sealant we got but just a cautionary note that it may not hold.
i will confirm the above at another place tomorrow or Tuesday.

Second point is that the spiral tube should be sitting perfectly flat because if there's even slight angle, over 6-8' of span, it may result in water being stuck at one end while the other side is drained and vice verse.

There you have it. Hope some of it helps.

Cheers,
Aleks
IMG_0477_resize.JPG
IMG_0479_resize.JPG
IMG_0475_resize.JPG

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 11, 2013, 5:04:32 AM6/11/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Here's a diagram of the ebb-and-flow system Aleks and myself come up with over at Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a ranch. It' pretty straightforward. A pump circulates water throughout the system and a 'barrier' at the outlet creates a specific water level inside the tube. The plant roots and part of the baskets are submerged. At regular intervals the pump stops working and a electrically operated valve opens and allows the spiral to drain. The roots can then take up more oxygen. After a specific time the valve closes again and the pump starts circulating water again.

Here's the key:
1: water reservoir
2: water pump
3: water inlet
4: water level
5: hydroponics substrate
6: plants
7: barrier
8: water overflow
9: water discharge opening
10: electrically operated valve

Cheers,
Angelo
HI-SEAS hydroponics system_v2_1600.jpg

Aleks Velhner

Jun 11, 2013, 12:41:59 PM6/11/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Angelo,
had a second thought on the drain and if it should be at the very bottom of the "T" because at that point dirt and broken root parts will collect and over time clog the 1" passage. We may want to move the drain on the side and close to the top of the vertical part of the "T", or just move it elsewhere from the very bottom. Think of the sink drain trap....there's a reason for it. It would make the installation somewhat more complicated but could prevent drainage, which, by the way, we have no way of detecting.
Aleks

Aleks Velhner

Jun 11, 2013, 12:45:31 PM6/11/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Matter of fact, an age old design pictorial:

Aleks Velhner

Jun 12, 2013, 2:21:08 AM6/12/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Kim,
The valve and two relays were sent today via USPS to your address.

Tracking number: 9505510425763162444960

Aleks

Sent from my iPad

Aleks Velhner

Jun 12, 2013, 2:23:14 AM6/12/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
BTW, ETA: Fri, June 14, 2013

Sent from my iPad

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 17, 2013, 3:35:12 AM6/17/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com, avel...@shaw.ca
Thx for all this Alex! Will check with Kim whether the valve arrived. Thinking about a solution to prevent the drain from clogging.

Cheers,
Angelo

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 25, 2013, 11:00:58 PM6/25/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com, avel...@shaw.ca
Hi Ileana,

Let us know whether you can piece together the hydroponics system. You can find a brief description in this report here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/hi-seas-space-farm/SIbCZPoNPQI

It's important that it operates as an ebb and flow system, not as a regular flow through system. Let me know if you need to know more details.

Cheers,
Angelo