Update

Simon Engler

Aug 3, 2013, 4:45:22 PM8/3/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Message from Collin, his email might be bouncing from the space farm google group. Could someone please add him?

According to the email below, the arm was shipped fast so there is no demo program. So likely the chip is working, we just have to connect it to the computer.

Simon

Aug 3, 2013, 9:59:21 PM8/3/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Ileana, please let us know when you have a chance to follow up on this!

Cheers,
Angelo

Ileana Argyris

Aug 3, 2013, 10:26:41 PM8/3/13
to Angelo Vermeulen, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com

Hi Angelo,
I'm at the ranch right now. I'm working on the arm as we speak. I'll have news soon!

Best,
Ileana

Ileana Argyris

Aug 3, 2013, 10:39:07 PM8/3/13
to Angelo Vermeulen, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com

Good news!! The chip works. (:

Simon Engler

Aug 3, 2013, 11:02:22 PM8/3/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful!! I will try to log into teamviewer now.

On 03/08/2013 4:39 PM, Ileana Argyris wrote:
> !! The chip works. (:

Ileana Argyris

Aug 4, 2013, 6:48:41 PM8/4/13
to Simon Engler, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angelo!

Here's some pictures of the plants that started growing in the first tray of plants, the second tray of plants that need to be transplanted soon and some plants in the baskets.

Thanks,
Ileana

DSCF69391.jpg
DSCF69381.jpg
DSCF69451.jpg
DSCF69441.jpg
DSCF69471.jpg

Angelo Vermeulen

Aug 4, 2013, 8:37:35 PM8/4/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com, Jean B. Hunter
Hi Ileana,

Thanks for the photos! Can give me some more info about the plants in the photos: (1) which species are these, and (2) how old are they (especially the plants in the aquaponics system).

Cheers,
Angelo

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Simon Engler <simon....@gmail.com> wrote:
Beautiful!!  I will try to log into teamviewer now.

On 03/08/2013 4:39 PM, Ileana Argyris wrote:
!! The chip works. (:

Ileana Argyris

Aug 4, 2013, 10:07:45 PM8/4/13
to Angelo Vermeulen, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angelo,

The plants in the second tray are listed on the plant inventory spreadsheet. These plants range from two - three weeks old.

The two plants that started growing from the first tray are both Swiss Chard. They are one week old.

The three plants in the hydroponics system are:
  • Arugula, cinder: 1 month
  • Arugula, hydrocorn: 1 month
  • Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce, hydrocorn: 1 month

Thanks,
Ileana

Ileana Argyris

Aug 4, 2013, 10:21:41 PM8/4/13
to Angelo Vermeulen, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Some more observations:

  • 1D (Nevada Lettuce) was completely eaten by some bug. (The leaf, not the leaf stalk) :( But it's slowly growing back its leaves.
  • Other plants are getting nibbled on by bugs.
  • Spiders are spinning webs on empty baskets.
  • It's hard to grab baskets remotely because you can't really tell where the claw hand is (maybe we should find a different placing for the camera on the arm or color it somehow? It's black on black)

Thanks,
Ileana

Angelo Vermeulen

Aug 4, 2013, 10:48:01 PM8/4/13
to Ileana Argyris, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ileana,

Indeed, it seems like we still have to go through some more problem solving. Did you already get a chance to talk with Michael, Henk's son? He built his own aquaponics system on the ranch and those plants looked small but mostly healthy.

The plant (in the hydroponics system) don't really look in very good shape. It's hard to judge what the problem is, but after one month they should look more advanced. I've asked Jean Hunter for advice. How much nutrients do you provide?

Once plants are more healthy, pests should be less of a problem.

And yes, at this point we cannot properly navigate the gripper since we can't see what's happening. Anything to improve this situation would be more than welcome.

Cheers,
Angelo

Ileana Argyris

Aug 6, 2013, 1:10:53 AM8/6/13
to Angelo Vermeulen, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angelo,

I think I found the problem. After reviewing the data from the growtronix system, I realized that the policies were not working like they were supposed to. I edited them and they seem to be working correctly now.

I put 1 tsp of maxigrow for every gallon of water in the reservoir as stated in the instructions.

To fix the problem with the gripper I attached a piece of wood to bring the camera up higher. I also wrapped some white tape around the claw for better visibility. Please see the pictures attached.

I hope to test the arm with you and Simon around 3 tomorrow. I will send an email when I am at the ranch.

Thanks,
Ileana

DSCF69531.jpg
DSCF69561.jpg

Angelo Vermeulen

Aug 6, 2013, 2:28:34 AM8/6/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com, Jean B. Hunter, Simon Engler
Terrific ideas Ileana! We'll be in standby tomorrow for a new test!

I think the light is way too low for the plants. Not sure how to address this. Maybe we should move all the lights together over one quarter of the spiral and only have plants there. Lowering the lights is not an option I guess. How is the root development of the plants? Can you please make a photo of that. Try to get a hold of Michael when he's at the ranch. He might be a good resource.

Cheers and thanks!
Angelo

Angelo Vermeulen

Aug 6, 2013, 3:14:44 AM8/6/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Ileana, I forgot to ask: could you reposition the other two webcams please? One at the ceiling so we have an overview of the whole setup (you might need a USB extension cord), and one sideways showing the entire arm. This will make it way easier for us to navigate the arm.

Cheers,
Angelo